Waiting for your First Y match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting for your First Y match

I log on almost every day to check the forums. I have been looking for a Y match (of any kind) since February of 2011 and still have never had one.
    You?

My brother tested in 2006 and still doesnt have a match......

Comment

I've been waiting less than a year. It sounds like I may have to wait a lot longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
        I log on almost every day to check the forums. I have been looking for a Y match (of any kind) since February of 2011 and still have never had one.
        You?
        I wonder if there is a way you could recruit some more French Canadians for testing.

Maybe you could pass out FTDNA kits at hockey matches?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
          I wonder if there is a way you could recruit some more French Canadians for testing.

LOL Yes, please, recruit the French Canadians! I've recruited one but unfortunately he was adopted so we can't be of much help to anyone.

Comment

I have a standing offer on ancestry.com to pay for testing for anyone with my surname , Brunet, and claims the same ancestor (Pierre). There were actually 6 families in early Quebec with my surname who were not related.In France brunet is the 70th most common surname.

The hockey angle will not work as I am a Bruins fan. I suspect DNA discussions would not work well there. lol

Comment

I flipped back to paper trails on my patrilineal brick wall/line - I've asked the GRO in the UK to see if they can find a matching birthcertificate roughly where/when he claimed to be born. *taps foot impatiently* (compared to the online search & instant pdf copy we have here, 6 week wait is ridiculous)

Y-chromosome matching hasn't come up with anything yet, about the same length of time as you Brunetmj - closest matches on ysearch are 12/2 and surnames Schamp from Belgium and Ahmed from Saudi Arabia.... that's a hell of a spread.

Comment

Originally posted by aeduna View Post
                I flipped back to paper trails on my patrilineal brick wall/line - I've asked the GRO in the UK to see if they can find a matching birthcertificate roughly where/when he claimed to be born. *taps foot impatiently* (compared to the online search & instant pdf copy we have here, 6 week wait is ridiculous).
                You shouldn't think 6 weeks wait is too bad, here in Australia, certs can take up to 12 weeks, and you have to prove a connection, or a need. Genealogical research doesn't cut it, unless the birth record is over 100 years ago. It's been tough at times doing research on my wife's family

A

Comment

Originally posted by chartera View Post
                  You shouldn't think 6 weeks wait is too bad, here in Australia, certs can take up to 12 weeks, and you have to prove a connection, or a need. Genealogical research doesn't cut it, unless the birth record is over 100 years ago. It's been tough at times doing research on my wife's family

A

Er. I am in Australia If you're searching for historical certificates in Victoria, its an online search, $1 a page of (up to) 20 results and then you can instantly download a pdf of the certificate for $20. Some of the other states have free index searches and more expensive certificates. I think Tasmania chisels them out on rock and brings them to you on a horsedrawn cart or something

As opposed to waiting 3 weeks and getting an email today saying "no results match what you've told us". ADFGIHDFGDNFGDKFGdf

Comment

Originally posted by aeduna View Post
                    Er. I am in Australia If you're searching for historical certificates in Victoria, its an online search, $1 a page of (up to) 20 results and then you can instantly download a pdf of the certificate for $20. Some of the other states have free index searches and more expensive certificates. I think Tasmania chisels them out on rock and brings them to you on a horsedrawn cart or something

As opposed to waiting 3 weeks and getting an email today saying "no results match what you've told us". ADFGIHDFGDNFGDKFGdf
                    More specific, here In New South Wales you have to jump through hoops, its expensive, and pdfs? What are they. Genealogy research, births, 100 years, marriages, 70 years, I think, deaths, 25 years. After that bring on the hoops.

I would have to prove my relationship, to their satisfaction, to get my mum's death cert.

Still, waiting three weeks for no result, bother

A

Comment

Working...
                    X