Help me understand Ydna feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand Ydna feedback

I am part of Africandna and new to genealogy research. Recently I was found to be an exact Ydna match through 67 markers with Mr C. Also, the child of adopted Mr M was notified of a once removed match through 67 markers with myself and Mr C. Everything I read says we are very tightly related. Whatever that means. We have shared emails and found no common names or any other connections. I did find a relative of Mr C who shared my last name. But, the person married into Mr C’s male line. What happens to that persons dna? Mr C has researched his family back to the 15th century. Because I am African American and Mr C and Mr M are White we have decided that I will research slave seller names in the areas where my descendants lived to see if there are any surnames from Mr C family names. What can adopted Mr M’s daughter do? She is at a brick wall since his last name is an adopted name.

Hi,

If I correctly understand what you've written, then you, Mr. C., and Mr. M all share a common, direct male ancestor in the very near past. As Mr. C has his family well-documented, and he knows that there were no surname changes, and assuming that Mr. C is not himself the product of an adoption, then his surname should be yours and Mr. M's as well.

Originally posted by bald5862 View Post
    I did find a relative of Mr C who shared my last name. But, the person married into Mr C’s male line. What happens to that persons dna?
    Assuming this was a woman who married into the male line, her mtDNA would only be passed down to her sons and daughters, and only direct female descendants of hers would still carry that information. However, all three of you could still retain some of her autosomal DNA, which is tested by Family Finder. All three of you should consider ordering FF, as it could give you a better understanding of how closely related you all are to each other.
    Last edited by vinnie; 16 October 2012, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Thank you for responding. I will pass the family finder suggestion on to the other 2. I have already taken it. I also discovered that this is a female "C" who married into my surname. I don't know if that makes any difference. I hope the shorthand is not confusing.

Comment

Exactly how is Ms. C related to Mr. C, and how exactly is Ms. C related to you?

Comment

Hello...I agree with Vinnie about the FF test.
          However I am unsure just how close in time a 67 marker match might mean you are related to Mr. C. The Y marker test look at distant past relationships. May be some one can answer that.

Comment

Mr. C has his family traced into the 15th century, about the time surnames first became common in England. According to the FAQ, a 67/67 match is within the time frame of surname adoption in Europe:

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=9#919

Given the fact that the bald5862 is an African American who is of direct male European lineage (I'm assuming it's R1b), I think it's safe to say that he and Mr. C. are related to within the last few hundred years as slavery was established in the U.S. in the 17th century. bald5862, what is your haplogroup, and do you know when Mr. C's ancestors first moved to the U.S.?

As for Mr. M, yes, the relationship may be earlier than the last 200-300 years, but not much farther back than that according to the FAQ.

Comment

Again, thank you for taking time with me.

Ms C is Mr C's 3rd cousin, 3 times removed. Their common ancestors are his 5G grandparents and her 2G grandparents.
              What ever that means?

I am an exact match to 67 markers with Mr C attempting to see if there is any connection to Ms C who shares Mr C's dna and my surname.

My haplogroup is R1b1a2 and so is Mr C.

Mr C's family arrived in the States about 1635.

Comment

Okay, so Mr C & Ms C are distantly related cousins, but that doesn't automatically make you a cousin to Ms C; only FF could possibly demonstrate that. BTW, just because people don't match on FF, that doesn't mean that they're not cousins, it just means that they don't share enough DNA for to verify the relationship genetically. So FF could verify that you and Ms C are in fact related, but the absence of the genetic evidence does not mean that you're not related. As for Ms C and your surname, you can pursue that, but given the history of how African Americans adopted surnames, it's up to you how much time, money, and energy, you want to put into it.

What is more important, IMO, is that you and Mr C share a common, direct, male ancestor. Depending on who actually immigrated (was it just one C family, or more?) and how many males descended from that family, you may or may not be able to narrow down which male ancestor the two of you share. At this point, you probably need to concentrate on the slave holding/buying/selling records that might give you a hint as to who he was, in addition to having Mr C do FF. On a personal note, I think you're very lucky that all of these people are willing to work with you on this. It's not uncommon for people dealing with adoption (not slavery) to be ignored by their genetic relatives.

Forgot to ask you, what mtDNA group do you belong to? If you haven't tested that yet, you should.
                Last edited by vinnie; 18 October 2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I will continue to work with Mr C, but I will not pursue info on his distant cousin Ms C.
                  It appears as though one of Mr C's family member immigrated and started his family in the States.
                  Fortunately, my history does not include both slavery and adoption, it was the third person Mr M who was adopted.
                  I am concentrating on the slave holding/buying/selling records in the county where my family came from.
                  Finally, my mtDNA is L2a.
                  I appreciate all the help.
                  The best to you.

Comment

Working...
                  X