YDNA matches vs FF matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YDNA matches vs FF matches

I have four 12 marker matches and one 37 marker match - all zero genetic distance. None of these matches turned up in my family finder match list.

Why? ... and what does it mean if one or two of them did, but the rest didn't?

Thanks.

Y-DNA looks much deeper into your paternal line than Family Finder. A 12 marker Y-DNA match might be from 1,000's of years ago. These people need to upgrade to at least 37 markers before I would consider them a true match in most cases.

Have the Y-DNA matches ordered a Family Finder test?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
      Y-DNA looks much deeper into your paternal line than Family Finder. A 12 marker Y-DNA match might be from 1,000's of years ago. These people need to upgrade to at least 37 markers before I would consider them a true match in most cases.

Have the Y-DNA matches ordered a Family Finder test?
      Of the four 12 marker matches only two have responded to emails - one 12 marker and one 37 marker. Neither has done family finder.
      Last edited by SMD; 13 October 2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Okay, strike that. Let's assume they did their FF tests and still didn't show up in my FF match list. Other than being out of genealogical (and FF's) range, is there any other reason why a YDNA match might not show up in my FF match list?

Comment

Hello, fellow G-man !

Well, while the Y-DNA only changes by mutation, the autosomal DNA is recombined at every generation. Which mean that with every generation, the SNP sequences which FF detects, will be broken and diluted. So it is very possible to not have anymore detectable autosomal sequence with a patrilinear cousin of the 5th of 6th degree, while still being a good match on its Y-DNA.

Comment

Working...
          X