Question about matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about matches

I'm just getting started in the world of Y-DNA testing, and have a couple of questions about my father's Y-DNA matches. Is it correct that every one of my dad's matches is related to him through another male? I realize the Y chromosome tests exactly that...the male lineage. But, is it safe to assume that I should rule out any females that might have had a surname that appears on his highest matches' lists..anywhere down the line? I guess I don't understand how all of his matches COULD be related to him, if not directly on his father's line. Any insight is appreciated.

Originally posted by lanajane View Post
    I'm just getting started in the world of Y-DNA testing, and have a couple of questions about my father's Y-DNA matches. Is it correct that every one of my dad's matches is related to him through another male? I realize the Y chromosome tests exactly that...the male lineage. But, is it safe to assume that I should rule out any females that might have had a surname that appears on his highest matches' lists..anywhere down the line? I guess I don't understand how all of his matches COULD be related to him, if not directly on his father's line. Any insight is appreciated.
    I'm not quite sure about your question - where are the females that you're talking about? In your existing tree? If so.. if its an unusual surname, or the geographical location is precise and you know you have some family from that area, it might be a hint to look for something around there, but it depends on a lot of coincidental circumstances...

In terms of how people could be related, it depends on the level of a match - if you've got a 12-marker test, they are possibly only related in terms of thousands of years, not in the last few generations.

Comment

Thanks for replying. Sorry for the vague questions. I want to know what are all the possible ways my father's matches could conceivably be related to him? Are they all his DIRECT line, cousins to his direct line, brothers to his direct line, etc.? My dad's closest matches all have the surname Nelson, but his surname is Stone. I found a Nelson female in my research that could have been the origin of this Nelson connection. Is that possible, since this is a Y-DNA test?

Comment

Thanks for replying. Sorry for the vague questions. I want to know what are all the possible ways my father's matches could conceivably be related to him? Are they all his DIRECT line, cousins to his direct line, brothers to his direct line, etc.? My dad's closest matches all have the surname Nelson, but his surname is Stone. I found a Nelson female in my research that could have been the origin of this Nelson connection. Is that possible, since this is a Y-DNA test?
        Vague questions are fine :-) I just wanted to clarify.

If you've done y-chr testing, all the matches will be related up the male line only, father-to-son. So he might turn up some 2nd cousins where they both are descended from the same great grandfather by male children only.

If the surnames that you are matching to are different from his, then there are a few reasons that could be relevant. An ancestor might have changed his name, possibly on emigrating - I have some Nelson's in my research for instance that were Swedish, and the original name was Neilsen. On arrival in England, they anglicised it. If your dad's family is the same, then it might have been that he chose another name at the same time.

Other options include what's referred to as a non-paternity event, where someone is adopted, formally or informally - perhaps a child was raised by a relative because the parents weren't able to. Sometimes the official parent was not the genetic parent. Sometimes if a child was born out of wedlock, then they took the mother's surname instead of the father's.

At the least, you have a mystery I would try and contact your matches, and see if you can share any research that might help zero in on a connection - times and places where your trees have a chance to match up.

Comment

Many females have tested their father's or brother's sample for Y markers. That is the only way I know a female can be involved in the Y testing. It is not their personal sample but that of a male kin.
          If your father's surname is Stone and you have a 67 Y marker test and have mostly Nelson surnames as matches I would start thinking about the idea that his people in fact were Nelsons from some where in the past. That is a part of the fun part of DNA testing.

Comment

Is it correct that every one of my dad's matches is related to him through another male?
            It depends a lot on how many markers you are talking about. I have people in some of my project who may hay 1,000s of 12 marker matches, but by the time they have tested to 37 markers they are down to a hand full. The more markers the better and the closer the matches the better.

A close match at 67 markers probably shares a common paternal ancestor, but he could be form as far as a few 100 years ago or as close as a brother.

If you are asking if all of his 12 marker matches are related to him the answer is probably not.

Comment

I had him tested to 67 markers. I'm asking about his 67-marker matches. There are only 4 matches at that level, and every one of them is a Nelson. They are not close--GD's of 4 and 5. I have come across a marriage between a Stone male and a Nelson female in the tree of one of my cousin matches. Is it possible that this Nelson female is connected in any way to these male Nelson's on my father's Y-test?

Comment

I had him tested to 67 markers. I'm asking about his 67-marker matches. There are only 4 matches at that level, and every one of them is a Nelson. They are not close--GD's of 4 and 5. I have come across a marriage between a Stone male and a Nelson female in the tree of one of my cousin matches. Is it possible that this Nelson female is connected in any way to these male Nelson's on my father's Y-test?
                Sure, if that Nelson woman adopted her brother's sons and and those sons took their stepfather's name and fathered the next generation of Stones. It's a reasonably common type of non-paternal event (NPE).

Comment

Working...
                X