Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STR Match, SNP Mismatch

I'm new to this, and would appreciate comments on the following scenario:

I have a fairly close STR match--TMRCA between 300 and 500 years.

We share an unusual value on one marker (DYS388=11), found in only about 0.5% or men.

I am L2+ but he is L2-.

Does the difference in haplogroups mean that we are not paternally related and that the STR match is a statistical fluke?

Thanks for any clarification.

Jim

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
    I have a fairly close STR match--TMRCA between 300 and 500 years.Jim
    Do you have a Y-Search ID for your match? What is your genetic distance on 67 markers?

Comment

STR Match, SNP Match

He is not on YSearch and has tested only to 37 markers. We match within 1 step at 25 and more than 4 at 37.

Jim

Comment

STR Match, SNP Match

Further--we match of 33 of 37 markers, but 2 of the mismatches (GD=3) are on CDYa and CDYb, which I understand are very rapidly mutating.

Does this make a difference?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
          I'm new to this, and would appreciate comments on the following scenario:

I have a fairly close STR match--TMRCA between 300 and 500 years.

We share an unusual value on one marker (DYS388=11), found in only about 0.5% or men.

I am L2+ but he is L2-.

Does the difference in haplogroups mean that we are not paternally related and that the STR match is a statistical fluke?

Thanks for any clarification.

Jim
          Because you belong to two different subclades, the marker values are coincidental. Your common ancestor probably lived thousands of years ago. If you haven't done so already, you should join the project for your haplogroup, and perhaps the administrator(s) of the project can give you an estimate as to when the two subclades diverged.

Comment

sTR Match, SNP Match

Thanks--that's what I suspected. I am in several haplogroup projects, but unfortunately he is not. I'll concentrate on other matches for now.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
              Because you belong to two different subclades, the marker values are coincidental. Your common ancestor probably lived thousands of years ago. If you haven't done so already, you should join the project for your haplogroup, and perhaps the administrator(s) of the project can give you an estimate as to when the two subclades diverged.
              I dont believe that the two haplotypes are coincidental.The marker values are ancestral to R1b.They belong in different subclades because of an SNP.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                I dont believe that the two haplotypes are coincidental.The marker values are ancestral to R1b.They belong in different subclades because of an SNP.
                I do believe it's coincidental. If one is L2+ and the other is L2-, they must be separated by at least 3000 years (or whatever the age of L2 is). He would be more closely related to the L2+ person who has the least STR matches with him than he would to anyone who is L2-.

Comment

I think what you should get out of this is that 37 markers are not near enough resolution, and four away at 37 markers can be quite significant. Four away at 37 markers can translate into far greater distance at 67 markers. You won't know unless both of you upgrade.

Comment

They belong to different subclades. There's no point in upgrading markers to see if the "match" holds up because there is no match to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by emmental View Post
                      I do believe it's coincidental. If one is L2+ and the other is L2-, they must be separated by at least 3000 years (or whatever the age of L2 is). He would be more closely related to the L2+ person who has the least STR matches with him than he would to anyone who is L2-.
                      I agree with you.

Comment

Working...
                      X