New Kit needed for FF upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kit needed for FF upgrade?

I'm sure I read something about this before, but I can't find the thread in a Search. Can I order a FF test using the same kit that was submitted for the Y67? In addition, there was no Haplogroup result in the Y67, so Ftdna is running a Backbone test to establish it. Does this use up extra sample? I would prefer to use the submitted kit if possible. Also, if I can use the previously submitted sample kit for the FamilyFinder, do I need to order it over the phone, or will it work online, without sending another kit?

If all your kit has been used for is Y67, you shouldn't need a new one. My original kit was used for Y67, Y111 upgrade, Deep Clade, *and* FF.

Comment

Thank you! I went ahead and ordered it and there was nothing in my confirmation about sending a new kit. So I assume they will use what they have unless there is a problem.

Comment

I have had all the tests here Y (111 marker) , mtDNA Full, Family Finder, and probably 9 individual SNP tests. So there is no danger in running out.

Comment

I had a relative tested for 67 markers years ago. He gave 3 swabs.
          Later we did a deep SNP and some advanced markers.
          Then I wanted the FF, they sent a new kit. As the relative had passed away I couldnt provide a new sample. They said the didnt have enough sample.

I then had the 111 marker upgrade done on the remainder of the sample.
          I've asked a few more times about the FF test and the said they cant it.

This week when I pressed them on this, they said there is probably enough sample to do the test, but they are not certain. If I go ahead they may or may not have enough. I will try and see what happens.

If they had told me this when I first wanted the FF test, I would have gone ahead then and not bothered with the 111 marker upgrade.

Comment

Family Finder

Hi rivergirl,
            It may have something to do with that FF used to take 1 vial for the FF test.
            When they changed to illumina they did not need as much DNA to run for the FF test.

I hope this helps and that you are able to have the FF test done with the remaining sample.

Cheryl

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
            I had a relative tested for 67 markers years ago. He gave 3 swabs.
            Later we did a deep SNP and some advanced markers.
            Then I wanted the FF, they sent a new kit. As the relative had passed away I couldnt provide a new sample. They said the didnt have enough sample.

I then had the 111 marker upgrade done on the remainder of the sample.
            I've asked a few more times about the FF test and the said they cant it.

This week when I pressed them on this, they said there is probably enough sample to do the test, but they are not certain. If I go ahead they may or may not have enough. I will try and see what happens.

If they had told me this when I first wanted the FF test, I would have gone ahead then and not bothered with the 111 marker upgrade.

Comment

I've tested starting with a 37 marker ydna test to a FF test and vice versa within the last six months. No problems.

Comment

Originally posted by nwgen View Post
                I've tested starting with a 37 marker ydna test to a FF test and vice versa within the last six months. No problems.
                I did the same two followed by a 67-marker YDNA test, also without problems.

Comment

Working...
                X