Y-DNA match and possible surname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-DNA match and possible surname

I'm a 36/37 match with an individual. The only mismatch is at DSY 456 which seems to have a high mutation rate. We also share what has been described as a unique combination at DSY 464, 12 15 16 16.

Since I was adopted I don't have any surname information from my biological parents.

The individual that I match had an ancestor that immigrated to Canada about 1820 to a location 100 miles from where I was born in N.Y. Their most distant known ancestor was born around 1750 in Ireland. I estimate that I would be 8 to 10 generations down the line from them.

My question is how reasonable would it be to assume that I descended from someone in this family and could I rely on their surname for doing further research?

I tested my mother's brother's son for yDNA. After a year there are no matches at 67 and two 37/37 matches. No common surnames, no common place names and my grandfather used several vastly different surnames throughout his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Hathaway View Post
      I'm a 36/37 match with an individual. The only mismatch is at DSY 456 which seems to have a high mutation rate. We also share what has been described as a unique combination at DSY 464, 12 15 16 16.

Since I was adopted I don't have any surname information from my biological parents.

The individual that I match had an ancestor that immigrated to Canada about 1820 to a location 100 miles from where I was born in N.Y. Their most distant known ancestor was born around 1750 in Ireland. I estimate that I would be 8 to 10 generations down the line from them.

My question is how reasonable would it be to assume that I descended from someone in this family and could I rely on their surname for doing further research?
      I would recommend you both upgrade to 67 markers and see how the match holds up, even if you have to pay for his upgrade.

If the match stays close, you will have more reason to focus on that surname and family. If it breaks loose at 67 markers, then you'll know not to waste your time with it.

Comment

How many markers have you tested? What is your Haplogroup - tested or predicted? Do you have other close matches?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
          How many markers have you tested? What is your Haplogroup - tested or predicted? Do you have other close matches?
          Only 37 markers have been tested. I've tried to contact the individual with no luck yet. Both of us are predicted as I1 by FTDNA and I1-As3 (99.99%) by another calculator I found somewhere.

I don't have any other close matches for Y-DNA. I do have several predicted fourth and fifth cousins from FF but there are no common surnames and I can't tie any of them to where I'm from yet. I'm still waiting on the mtDNA results.

Comment

I am adopted and went through the same problems. Go with the 67 marker. I also did the deep clade and the 111 marker. Eventually the combination of the 67 and family finder paid off.

Comment

Working...
            X