Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viking?

Hi,
    I am I1d1 confirmed L22+, my paternal line came from Western Scotland back in the early 1700's to the U.S. My question is would that be highly suspicious of a Viking connection?
    thanks

Viking

Yes, Scotland, Ireland and the west northern counties of England was inhabited by Norse Vikings.

Do you have a YSearch number? I am also I1d L22+ and would be interested to compare markers.

John P Hall

Comment

yes it is N5QPN

Comment

My predicted haplogroup says I2b1. I have heard about 10 different answers as to where that haplogroup came from. Does anyone know for sure ? The reason i ask is because one place lists this also as viking populations.

Comment

Your haplogroup came from Iberia 12,000 ybp.

Originally posted by 507 View Post
          My predicted haplogroup says I2b1. I have heard about 10 different answers as to where that haplogroup came from. Does anyone know for sure ? The reason i ask is because one place lists this also as viking populations.

Comment

The ISOGG y haplogroup I page says the following about I-M223 (which they call I2a2a but which FTDNA calls I2b1):

I2a2a-M223 et al occurs in Britain and northwest continental Europe.
            Of course I-M223 is a descendant clade of I-P37.2, and, last I heard, I-P37.2 is thought to have weathered the last Ice Age in the Balkans.

If you look at the y haplogroup distribution maps here, you can find one for I2b. Scroll up to find it.
            Last edited by Stevo; 18 August 2012, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
              The ISOGG y haplogroup I page says the following about I-M223 (which they call I2a2a but which FTDNA calls I2b1):

Of course I-M223 is a descendant clade of I-P37.2, and, last I heard, I-P37.2 is thought to have weathered the last Ice Age in the Balkans.

If you look at the y haplogroup distribution maps here, you can find one for I2b. Scroll up to find it.
              Thanks. The project co-ordinator says that I belong in the Y-DNA project and that my ancestors came from England and came over to Pennsylvania in the 1600's. I have no idea if any of that is accurate but thats what he says anyway.

Comment

There are many sub groups of M223, run your markers through this predictor.
                http://members.bex.net/jtcullen515/HaploTest.htm
                As far as I understand M223 is mainly found in Northern Europe/North Sea area and in Britain and Ireland to a lesser extent.
                Here is a good summary.
                http://www.buildinghistory.org/dista...logroupi.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by Naughtius View Post
                  There are many sub groups of M223, run your markers through this predictor.
                  http://members.bex.net/jtcullen515/HaploTest.htm
                  As far as I understand M223 is mainly found in Northern Europe/North Sea area and in Britain and Ireland to a lesser extent.
                  Here is a good summary.
                  http://www.buildinghistory.org/dista...logroupi.shtml

THat predictor is confusing. Are we supposed to just try to enter our own results letters and stuff in the boxes ?

Comment

THat predictor is confusing. Are we supposed to just try to enter our own results letters and stuff in the boxes ?
                    Of course.

Comment

Haplogroups and probabilities are as follows:
                      I-S24 =>100%

Thats what it said when i entered all 37 of my markers in. Any idea what
                      I-S24 =>100% means ?????????????????

Comment

You should join this mailing group and ask a question about, you should get an answer there.
                        http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...A-HAPLOGROUP-I

S24 is also know as P219 I think. It seems to be between M223 and M284, it may be one of the various continental sub groups.

Comment

R1b and the "Vikings"

Thanks for the pie [charts]!

Many people associate I1 with Scandinavian when the numbers don't necessarily support that. If you look at Normandy (a one time settlement of the Norsemen, hence the name) it is overwhelmingly R1b. If you look at Scandinavia it appears to have a majority of R1b as opposed to I1.

What are the takeaways here? This is where the subclading gains traction assuming that all participants genealogy is correct (for which mine remains a mystery). It seems more likely that the Norsemen were bunkered down with R1b and I1, thus making a good case for both. The other take away is that we do NOT see high frequency of I1 in many other places other than Norse settlements, whereas R1b is all throughout Europe and parts of Asia. Still, I am surprised that I1 is not the dominant Hg in Scandinavia.

Originally posted by Stevo View Post

Comment

Working...
                          X