Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contacting Haplogroup Matches?

Hi everyone,
    My Big-Y results came back yesterday. I was shocked to see that theres another US person who shares my haplogroup with a potential common ancestor from the 1700s which is 2-3 generations from my last verfied ancestor (1820s). How might I go about finding out who that match is or seeing any public data for them?

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 10.33.58 AM.png

I think I may have found them by joining a few group projects. Is it a safe assumption that our shared haplogroup means we also share a male ancestor? His earliest known ancestor and mine are very close together in time and location.

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 3.13.22 PM.png

Comment

You should be able to see your match by clicking on the link to "Big Y Matches" on your dashboard. There you can click on the person's name, and that will bring up a box with their email address - unless the person has chosen to not make their information public.

Comment

Is it possible that his JhnW1825 and your John william morris born 1822 are the same person and the Y DNA match estimate is off by 100 years?

Please fill us in when you have more information.​

Comment

Originally posted by cpoyner View Post
          I think I may have found them by joining a few group projects. Is it a safe assumption that our shared haplogroup means we also share a male ancestor? His earliest known ancestor and mine are very close together in time and location.

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 3.13.22 PM.png
          Yes, that terminal SNP arose well within genealogical time. The two of you share the same Y-DNA ancestor who was born around 1700. You've struck genetic genealogical gold.

Congratulations!

However, it looks like the guy in the chart above has the same MDKA you have (as jimbirk said above). In other words, the SNP BY55994 goes back to around 1700, but the two of you can only get back to a man who was born around 1822/1825.
          Last edited by Stevo; 8 December 2022, 07:57 PM.

Comment

I don't know if its gold, its awesome to have such a close shared ancestor but also maddening that there are no records to determine who that may be!

In my case my ancestor is Hance Poyner, b. 1825, NC. So we either had a name change or an NPE at some point.

What's also wild is that my Big Y Matches have 0 matches. I'm not sure I really understand why I can share a very recent ancestor but have no DNA match to them.

Comment

I think I made a mistake, my group of R-BY103776 is the parent group of R-BY55994.​

Comment

What's also wild is that my Big Y Matches have 0 matches. I'm not sure I really understand why I can share a very recent ancestor but have no DNA match to them.
                You can share the same haplotype and still not be an official BigY match.

To be a BigY match, you have to have 30 or less Non-Matching Variants.

Comment

I think I made a mistake, my group of R-BY103776 is the parent group of R-BY55994.​
                  Ah, that makes a lot of difference. I was thinking you were one of the two BY55994 entries. My reply was based on that misapprehension. So, not genealogical gold, but still informative.

Comment

Working...
                  X