Question About Private Variants/Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Private Variants/Position

I just received my results today for the Big Y-700 test, and three expected matches are listed (along with one other). On my list of private variants, of which there are ten, all show up under "non-matching variants" except one. It doesn't show up under any of the three matches. Could this mean that we all share that variant, but that it hasn't been identified as an SNP? I'm just trying to understand the data I have before me.

Thanks,
    ​​​​​​​Ed+

Because you just received the results recently - it is possible that you share that variant with one of your matches; it is also possible that your matches have no call for the position of that private variant.

To find out more about any private variants - you can use www.ybrowse.org

If you want to learn more about your Big-Y results, you can join this Facebook forum :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/257810104756408

Comment

It has now been a month since I received my results so, I’m fairly certain they have been reviewed by FTDNA and compared to other results in the database. Therefore, here is what I have:
      • My certified haplogroup is R-S3997. Based on the Block Tree and the FTDNA haplotree, R-S3997 includes only 18 known members and has only 1 variant downstream (R-FT20603).
      • I have 10 private variants, which have been given names per YBrowse, but none of which are seemingly shared with any other Big Y testers.
      • I have (per the Block Tree) 3 Big Y matches with the following number of non-matching variants (nmv’s):
        • 16 nvm’s - this tester took the Y500 test.
        • 21 nvm’s
        • 27 nvm’s
      • 2 of my 3 matches make up the pair who share the haplogroup R-FT20603, but I am negative for that SNP.
      • I do not share the same surname with any of my Big Y matches and share it with only 2 matches (both of whom are known distant cousins) from my Y111 test.
      Here is how I interpret these results. I share a common ancestor with at least three Big Y testers, probably as far back as 700 – 1000 years ago perhaps near the modern border between England and northern Wales (based on their ancestral ties). Additionally, there is a very good chance that the surname our family has used since the 1700’s may not be the same as what was used prior to coming to the American colonies – though I have no idea what that may have been. Thus, there remains a gap of about 300 - 500 years for which I have no genetic information.

Unfortunately, that is all I can conclude so, it appears I have hit a wall. If there is something I am missing, I would love to be informed as to what that might be.

Comment

Originally posted by EJSteele56 View Post
        I just received my results today for the Big Y-700 test, and three expected matches are listed (along with one other). On my list of private variants, of which there are ten, all show up under "non-matching variants" except one. It doesn't show up under any of the three matches. Could this mean that we all share that variant, but that it hasn't been identified as an SNP? I'm just trying to understand the data I have before me.

Thanks,
        Ed+
        Ed, I have the same issue with one of my PVs not showing up under the "non-matching variants" column. The other 4 are listed for every other match. It's been almost 6 weeks since my results posted, so I would have assumed that manual review completed with no change, but I have no way to determine if that is done.

Another test just came in this weekend for one test subject I've been in contact with, and he shares that same PV with me and has 4 others unique to him which do show up in the NMV column. Still, the one we share doesn't show up as non-matching for our other 10 matches either. I don't know if that means we will have a new branch when his manual review is complete, or if it means everybody in the group shares that PV. Surely there can't be 10 no-calls. But, if they all have it, I don't understand why it would be listed as a PV for any of us at this point.

I'm trying to get a response from our group admins to look at all of the results and determine whether any other test subjects have that PV in their list.

Comment

JDuke79, thanks for the response. Hopefully, it is just a matter of reviews not being done yet, though I wish there were some way to know that.

Comment

I don't know what this means, but the PV that was not showing in non-matching variants has suddenly disappeared from our PV lists. Now, it is shown on the block tree as a variant of the group we ware already in, but not as a new branch. I'm still confused and waiting for one of my group admins to respond and hopefully explain this to me.

Comment

jduke,

Congrats! It appears you have a new variant that is shared, but hasn't updated the tree. Did your haplogroup change?

Ed

Comment

Thanks, that's what I am hoping! So far, the haplogroup hasn't changed and the new named variant is listed as part of the existing branch on the tree, which makes me nervous. I still don't understand what's going on. I would expect it to have already created the new branch at this point, but I'm hoping it's just a part of the automated process, and a manual review will eventually take care of the rest. I'll update if either the new branch shows up or I get an explanation from a human as to why it didn't form a new branch. Hopefully your one PV that doesn't show up will follow the same path soon.

Comment

Ed, here is what FTDNA said concerning my situation:

I checked the reads for FTB56496 for the kits on the I-BY62571 branch and from what I can see there are some other kits under I-BY62571 that received No Calls for FTB56496 but that when we reviewed them we found they are positive for FTB56496. Since there are other kits positive for FTB56496 this means that this SNP is not unique to [your two kits].
                  So, no new branch. It is interesting to know that they can have no-calls that turn positive after the fact if they review the results again. Maybe that's what happened in your case also and one of your matches will turn up positive. But I guess it makes sense... unless one of your matches is negative for that variant, they couldn't conclusively create a new branch for it.
                  Last edited by jduke79; 15 March 2022, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Well, I was simply trying to verify that all of my private variants had been checked against my Big Y matches. So finally, I contacted customer service to see if there was a way to verify if my manual review had been done, and this is what I received for an answer on March 10:

"Thank you for contacting FamilyTreeDNA. Yes, your branch of the haplotree has been updated to reflect the information we learned from your Big Y results."

It doesn't say anything about my results, other than they were used to update my branch of the haplotree - which didn't change from when I did my Y111 test. So, I've decided to not worry about it any longer since there are supposed to be some major updates to the public haplotree anyway, and I figure the powers that be will want to make sure everything is reviewed and complete before that happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X