Only one match at 37 and 25. Zero matches from big-y 700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only one match at 37 and 25. Zero matches from big-y 700

I have had some luck tracing relations via autosomal test results but I only have oneY-dna match at markers 37 and 25. Those were from 20 May 2019 test results. I never heard of the person and the surname is not found anywhere in my lineage. I suspect an NPE. What really surprises me is when I received my big-y results, 9 July 2019, I had zero matches and to this day I have not received any. After I matched the guy in May I spoke with someone at FTDNA and they said I should expect to get some matches with the Big-Y results but that has not happened. Being a novice at this, I am a little baffled. Any comments would be appreciated.

Be proud: you are the first person with BigY in your Y-branch.
    Thank you. You are helping the whole dna community. We now know tha your branch exists.

Maybe your Y-chromosome has its origin in a population where only a few people tested?
    Now you are waiting for your unknown Y-cousins to do their BigY. (Yes, easy to say, and hard to wait.)

In the meantime, you can study the path of your Y-chromosome from stone age to the last (youngest) known branch.

----
    A match at 37 markers, who is not your known cousin ... Not certain, not enough markers.
    Is he exactly the same, or with differences?
    If you can convince him to do more markers, it would be very helpful.
    Are you suspecting NPE only because of this match? (Wait, it is way too early to doubt your ancestry.) Or, you have other reasons?

Comment

Some men find they have many matches and end up in a cluster with others who have the same surname. I you happened to be a Rice or a Buchanan, that might be your experience. Others end up with no close matches, pretty much alone on a little twig of the haplotree, far from any others who have the same surname -- that's my experience! However, even that result can be helpful: for me, it tells me my McCoy ancestry has nothing to do with the main two clusters that are in another part of the haplotree. I can ignore their ancestry completely! Many other men end up somewhere between these extremes, in the middle of a group having many different surnames. One way of looking at this is that the surnames of the members of such a cluster must have originated AFTER the Y DNA mutations had occurred. A lot of this has to do with the history of how surnames became permanent, in many areas much later than you might think. Patience is the key, and, as you know, there are many other types of genealogical evidence that you can explore while waiting for the right Y DNA sample to appear.

Comment

Working...
      X