Big Y Results Derived option of ? or Undetermined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Y Results Derived option of ? or Undetermined

Results options for Derived are Show all, Yes, No and ?.

My results show that there were 199114 SNPs to test.
    190795 show as Ancestral or No
    1819 show as Derived or Yes
    6500 show as undetermined or ?

How can valid testable SNPs show as ?. What makes them as not able to determine whether they are Ancestral or Derived. Why are the total derived less than the undetermined. If a SNP is downstream from an undetermined SNP does that make all the downstream SNPs undetermined. It seems like the Confirmed Haplogroup is possibly not really the correct Haplogroup.

Someone please explain as I do not see how SNP's cannot be determined unless that SNP is not part of my DNA.

If you click on the SNP name, it will bring up the reads for that particular SNP. Some may have few or no reads. Some may have only low quality reads. Some may have too many reads that don't match to be able to determine very well what the correct read is for that location. Those are some of the things that you can see when you manually look at the SNPs in question. The method of processing cannot always determine what your DNA has at every position every time. Most of the undetermined are probably Ancestral, or match the reference for the position.

Comment

Originally posted by GPowell View Post
      Someone please explain as I do not see how SNP's cannot be determined unless that SNP is not part of my DNA.
      After a very long wait the Learning Center is back up. You might get a little additional information here https://learn.familytreedna.com/y-dn...g/big-y/big-y/

Comment

Working...
      X