Where to upload Big Y 700 results for MRCA date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to upload Big Y 700 results for MRCA date

I have tested my Dad who is a Burford on Y-700 and his results will be in any day. All the Burfords have a Willis family that matches them very closely at Y-111. There was a Willis man that matches us do the Y-700 test and his results are already in. Where can we upload the Willis and Burford Y-700 DNA data to have someone tell us what our newly found SNP are and how far back our MRCA is? I have done in the past snp pack tests on my dad and his terminal SNP is R-S11121. All the Burfords and Willis's are positive for this SNP but it is about 3900 years old I believe. I think that The Burfords and Willis's may be connected as late as 300 years ago. Won't there be some new SNP's discovered once both of our results are compared? I need guidance on what to do. The end goal to me is to figure out about when these two families tie together.

Larry Burford

YFull has worked on the problem of dating SNP's, as have many others. I'm very impressed with what they have been able to accomplish and their long effort to keep reexamining their analysis in order to obtain the best possible results. However, a lot of assumptions are involved in estimating dates of SNP's, so it may be best to avoid too much speculation until you have the data to work with. FTDNA seems to have improved their analysis tremendously, and they seem to have the largest database for Y chromosome analysis, so you should soon get a much better idea of whether the two families cluster together on some little twig of the Y haplotree, or if they are widely separated and mixed in with a lot of other surnames, or if the situation is something in between. As the size of the database grows, the shape of the Y haplotree evolves, too, year by year. It's a lot more interesting than it was only a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
      YFull has worked on the problem of dating SNP's, as have many others. I'm very impressed with what they have been able to accomplish and their long effort to keep reexamining their analysis in order to obtain the best possible results. However, a lot of assumptions are involved in estimating dates of SNP's, so it may be best to avoid too much speculation until you have the data to work with. FTDNA seems to have improved their analysis tremendously, and they seem to have the largest database for Y chromosome analysis, so you should soon get a much better idea of whether the two families cluster together on some little twig of the Y haplotree, or if they are widely separated and mixed in with a lot of other surnames, or if the situation is something in between. As the size of the database grows, the shape of the Y haplotree evolves, too, year by year. It's a lot more interesting than it was only a couple years ago.
      Hopefully I can get someone to help explain to me what my results mean when they post.

Comment

My Dad's Big Y-700 results posted today. He is a R-Y60581 haplogroup and he has one match which is the Willis man who is also R-Y60581. How do I find out the age of this haplogroup and how do I find out if my dad and the Willis man share new SNP's that may not have been discovered until they both tested?

Comment

Well my Dad and his Big Y match just had their haplogroup update to R-BY164732

Comment

Working...
          X