Who to test on Big Y 700?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who to test on Big Y 700?

I have my Dad, Myself and my son all tested to Y-111. If I did the Y-700 test which one of us should I test? Should it be my son since he is the youngest ( most recent generation) or would it matter? I am not sure that it's not a total wast of money for me. I am no expert and may not understand the results when I get them,

My surname is Burford and we have Y DNA matches to other Burford's that go back to our most recent male ancestor that was born in 1684. There is a Willis family that the Burfords all match at Y-111. They can trace their Willis line back to the mid 1700's. It's obvious that we have the same common ancestor not too far back since we all match at Y-111. I even match some of the Willis's closer than some of the Burfords. One of the Willis men just ordered the Y-700 test so if I ordered it would it we would have a Burford compared to a Willis on Y-700. Would this tell me about when our common male ancestor was?

Larry

Your Dad. He is two generations closer to the common ancestor than your son.

Comment

RE Would this tell me about when our common male ancestor was?
      IMHO it will give you some strong clues to how far back the MRCA lived but it will not be definitive. Sort of + or - 100 to 150 years or so.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by JSW View Post
          RE Would this tell me about when our common male ancestor was?
          IMHO it will give you some strong clues to how far back the MRCA lived but it will not be definitive. Sort of + or - 100 to 150 years or so.
          It can be worse than that. @Y500 I have different results from my father on three SNPs. This underscores the importance of testing the oldest generation possible, as there are fewer chances for a mutation event to appear. Because Y700 tests more SNPs, you have even more chances for non-matching SNP events.

Based on two (reasonably) deep Y-DNA tests, you're going to have a general (but very large) ballpark to work within, because of the random nature of mutation. It might be you have 0 SNP mutations and your MRCA is centuries in the past. It also could be that you have a dozen mutations on the SNP level, and the MRCA is just 5 generations ago.

This is where methodically working through the family tree and testing at every "node" in the tree becomes critical for trying to "lock down" the age of a specific (range of) mutation(s). Welcome to the world of Surname projects, be it formally organized, or informally.
          Last edited by bartarl260; 24 April 2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

RE " I have different results from my father on three SNPs"
            Hmmmm maybe that happens more than I thought On the Y-500 test I have a difference with my brother.
            The difference is 3 novel SNPs and 2 Named SNPs both in of those two are in other groups eg SNPs normally in I when we are both R

I am awaiting our Y-700 results to see if those all remain - I am wondering if some of those might be false calls - especially suspect are the two named ones from other haplogroups.

Your email prompted me to join the fathers/sons/brothers project at FTDNA

Comment

I just can't decide if I should spend $349 or not. That's a lot of money to me.

Comment

Then don't do it until you are more comfortable with the expense or have a specific goal for it. It won't disappear anytime soon so you will have the option to do it at another time. Maybe at a lower cost down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by JSW View Post
                  RE " I have different results from my father on three SNPs"
                  Hmmmm maybe that happens more than I thought On the Y-500 test I have a difference with my brother.
                  The difference is 3 novel SNPs and 2 Named SNPs both in of those two are in other groups eg SNPs normally in I when we are both R

I am awaiting our Y-700 results to see if those all remain - I am wondering if some of those might be false calls - especially suspect are the two named ones from other haplogroups.

Your email prompted me to join the fathers/sons/brothers project at FTDNA
                  In my case, all three of the non-matching SNPs are named. one is prefixed "ZS" and the other two are claimed by FTDNA("BY"). Going by the (low 5 digit) number attached, those markers were named some time ago. I was tempted to upgrade to the Y700 for the same reason, but ultimately decided to spend the money on testing others. Anybody who matches me needs to match me through my father, and he is Y700 tested already.

Comment

Working...
                  X