Big Y500 to Big Y700 Upgrade Ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Y500 to Big Y700 Upgrade Ready

The upgrade from Big Y500 to Big Y700 is now available. I saw a mention about it elsewhere. I read it was stated at the FTDNA conference which ended today. Supposedly the special price will only last for the rest of March. FTDNA also released the white paper for the Big Y700 in their blog.

So that's a sale price? I know a few people who've already seen it, and are balking at it as it stands.

If they're going to do further testing and have a BigY already, it's more likely they'll be getting Y-DNA test kits for somebody else.
    Last edited by bartarl260; 24th March 2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Well it is effectively a retest. It is not like the STR tests where you only test the markers you did not test before (from Y37 to Y67, etc). So I was expecting a higher price actually. If the Big Y500 tester has no matches or very few distant matches, they will not benefit from a Big Y700 upgrade. Those with several matches and few or no unnamed variants can benefit from the upgrade. That is if they wish to split up their haplogroup further. Otherwise as you point out, they may be better off getting an STR test for someone else instead.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
        Well it is effectively a retest. It is not like the STR tests where you only test the markers you did not test before (from Y37 to Y67, etc). So I was expecting a higher price actually. If the Big Y500 tester has no matches or very few distant matches, they will not benefit from a Big Y700 upgrade. Those with several matches and few or no unnamed variants can benefit from the upgrade. That is if they wish to split up their haplogroup further. Otherwise as you point out, they may be better off getting an STR test for someone else instead.
        I made the same comment elsewhere, I spoke to one of FTDNA's people briefly at RootsTech a couple weeks back and he mentioned that issue. As such I was both surprised the price is as low as it was, and simultaneously disappointed that it is a sale price.

But you can't have everything in life.

In my case, I also have the benefit of my father already being Y700 tested, so while the Fathers/Sons/Brothers project (and presumably FTDNA as well) would benefit from my retesting, that would be about the only group that would get much direct benefit from my doing so.

Comment

Working...
        X