Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Haplogroup participants revealed, but not contactable on Big-Y Block Tree.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Haplogroup participants revealed, but not contactable on Big-Y Block Tree.

After 13 yrs at FTDNA my first yDNA match appeared 2 yrs ago through Big-Y testing; he was from Northern Spain in my deep ancestry and, fortunately, he joined the R-DF27 project where he could be contacted through email and his STR haplotype profile could be compared. The recent launch of the Block Tree has revealed that 2 other participants, in my terminal haplogroup, have tested through Big-Y; one has the same country of origin as myself (Scotland) but is genetically closer to the Spanish match (under R-BY36457), and the other has an unknown country of origin but is genetically closer to me. Neither of these participants have joined the R-DF27 project or the DNA Warehouse which sources expert analysis of NGS results. I do not understand why deep genealogy researchers (through Big-Y participation) do not join haplogroup projects to make use of their data (which includes unnamed SNPs, potential to new branch discovery) and make their STR data available for comparisons, as well as providing contactable email addresses? I have asked FTDNA Support if they may help contact these members (especially as it only involves deep ancestry research, not recent personal genealogy) but they have not responded. Does anyone know of any procedure to contact 'Block Tree' participants once revealed - I would have thought FTDNA Big-Y results emails would include auto-prompts for joining specific Haplogroup Projects; it is in the interests of FTDNA to expand their Haplotree?

The Block Viewer, if you "click around" to the right things WILL give you contact information, assuming the person involved has their privacy settings set to share their contact information. If they have their privacy settings set to disallow sharing of contact information, that's their choice, not FTDNA's, they(FTDNA) should respect it.

As to joining projects, they do suggest joining projects specialized towards what your results are, but they don't help identify what those projects may be and leave it up to the user to figure that out.(That and the projects aren't run by FTDNA by and large--As I recall, FTDNA has access to your data even without project membership so long as you don't delete it, all project membership does is allow your data to be shared to other 3rd parties outside FTDNA's organization)

That and you don't quite understand that people may not be doing BigY for "deep genealogy" but are instead trying to do more recent research where BigY is but one tool among many for work inside the scope of "the historical record." In which case the people doing "deep research" are more likely to be a nuisance than anything else for them.

Now how well they do, or do not, understand what they're doing with the tests may be another matter entirely. As I know one of my project admins has a close STR match who IIRC, is something like GD3 at 37+ STR's, but the person refuses to join the project, provide any information, or even go for additional testing(paid for even) because he's decided that @GD3 they "cannot possibly be closely related" and that's that. He's perfectly content at the level of testing he has, and until he sees a match that gives him reason to test further, he won't do so.

Meanwhile I shake my head at that while I find myself at GD2 with my father by Y37, so I'd also be jumping on a GD3 match at Y37 or higher myself.

Comment

bartar1260 Thanks for your thoughts. My main problem is that, because I have no recent yDNA match under any surname, 'deep genealogy' becomes identical to 'most recent genealogy', where the majority of these matching participants are not available to contact. So I must remain a 'nuisance' to others who focus on recent genealogy. People can still remain anonymous (only a number) in Haplogroup projects whilst revealing their terminal haplogroup (and possibly country of origin) together with STR profiles.

Comment

Working...
      X