Just upgraded...How long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just upgraded...How long?

I upgraded my Y-111 to Big Y 500 - how long should it take to see the results?

Thanks!

Steve

It depends? How many STR matches did you have at 37 markers or more who have BigY tested?

If the count is less than 3, expect it to run a few months beyond the advertised time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by bartarl260 View Post
      It depends? How many STR matches did you have at 37 markers or more who have BigY tested?

If the count is less than 3, expect it to run a few months beyond the advertised time frame.
      Why would processing time be affected by the number of STR matches one has? (I must be misunderstanding this)

Comment

STR matches who have BigY tested, not just STR matches.

Although it may turn out your closest BigY match(es) doesn't match on STRs through Y111.

The reason why it was relevant with BigY/Y500 previously (don't know about just how different Y700 is on the SNP side, as they just released it in the past day or so), is how closely you match someone on their SNP markers. "Lots" of Novel SNP markers is going to be very likely to result in your sample being processed more than once for quality control reasons.

If it is run a second time, the reason for it missing the estimated completion time should be evident.

If your closest SNP match isn't within the filtering range of even Y111, chances are good you're going to have "lots" of novel SNP markers. And will be processed a second time.

Comment

Originally posted by bartarl260 View Post
          STR matches who have BigY tested, not just STR matches...
          "Lots" of Novel SNP markers is going to be very likely to result in your sample being processed more than once for quality control reasons...
          I don't think that has happened in our case. We have one with 98 unnamed/private/novel markers, and another with 42, both didn't seem to be delayed any more than kits in neighboring batches (we were monitoring forum and project posts). We have another now that is delayed, but that seems to be what is happening to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by abuelita View Post

I don't think that has happened in our case. We have one with 98 unnamed/private/novel markers, and another with 42, both didn't seem to be delayed any more than kits in neighboring batches (we were monitoring forum and project posts). We have another now that is delayed, but that seems to be what is happening to everyone.
            BigY700 has possibly changed the game, as faster more reliable sequencing results are expected with the new setup. Can't speak for your project, but on the ones I am in, self reported turn around times in the 5 to 12 month range was typical for people who were #1, or #2 in line to be tested for a particular line with a distant(1.5k years or more) common ancestor. The most extreme one ran over 1.5 years, but the MRCA in that case was much further back. The people who saw quick turn around on their tests were ones in clades that already had multiple people in them with very few new SNPs to uncover. (Ie combinations of parents, 1st-4th cousins, siblings already tested)

Further, a roughly 5 month turn around would be consistent with a YDNA test being run twice, 3 months on the first round where the call to run it again is made, then about 1.5 months later results start to return and are checked against the initial test results over the next few weeks, if they agree with each other, it completes. If they don't agree, or other discrepancies appear, it gets sequenced yet again with results delayed another couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by ousteve2004 View Post
              I upgraded my Y-111 to Big Y 500 - how long should it take to see the results?

Thanks!

Steve
              If you ordered your BigY in November, you'll get the results around the 20 Feb. If you paid for it from Dec they'll come through about 6th March according to their BigY-700 press release.

Comment

Originally posted by abuelita View Post

With what they announced, I don't think anybody is going to see a BigY500 result going forward, they're now waiting on Y700 results. They claim those results should start coming back on the 8th of February(for those who ordered before 1 November but were still waiting), we'll see. I'm wondering if "Those who ordered before 1 November(, but don't have results)" should actually read read "Those who batched a BigY before 1 November, but still don't have results."

I ordered my father's kit during the Summer Sale in August, he sat on the kit until just after Thanksgiving, it didn't get batched until the week before Christmas. In theory Y500 was to complete at the end of February, although I was expecting March/April. (Another father/son pair had their father's kit go in second, and had it take longer to process than the first under BigY; it might have been actual sample quality problems that time, but FTDNA didn't say anything...)

Running a mini-game on probabilities of his Y700 results coming back before the end of the month. If I read the "Order date" as a batch date proxy, his results will be in about when the initial BigY window ends, if he's treated like the pre 1 November order that he actually is, results could be back in as soon as a week. If previous trends continue though, he'll likely end up retested(assuming Y500 was completely stopped), in which case the end of February becomes the "No earlier than" date. If the press release is to be believed, his No Later Than window should be about the end of March, which was when we were expecting the results to start with.

So I guess short version is unless their Press Release really missed the mark, we should be happy with the outcome, whatever way it turns out, as it should still finish within our expected time frame. They just introduced scenarios where a February completion date actually became viable from our perspective.

edit: double reply, phone posting can be fun. Thought this was posted after yesterday, oops. Different content all the same, as I responded to a different aspect of the post.
                Last edited by bartarl260; 1 February 2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X