Derived? Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derived? Confused

I am confused with the meaning of "Derived?" on the Named Variants tab of the Big Y500 Results. One of my members has BY1181 that shows as Yes (+) under the Derived? colum and the reference value A and the Genotype value is A.....I thought derived meant (+) for a genotype that is different from the Reference....Confused!!

Originally posted by dgewing View Post
    I am confused with the meaning of "Derived?" on the Named Variants tab of the Big Y500 Results. One of my members has BY1181 that shows as Yes (+) under the Derived? colum and the reference value A and the Genotype value is A.....I thought derived meant (+) for a genotype that is different from the Reference....Confused!!
    If the the status is (+) then you are positive, and your genotype should be different than the reference. There might be glitch in the system perhaps.

Comment

The Reference Genome is not the same thing as the genome of Y-Adam. It is not even the genome of one individual, although much of the REF is derived from a person who happens to be in the R1b branch of the tree. In particular, the SNP BY1181 is defined to be a change from G to A at position 13382936. The hg38 Reference Genome shows an A for that position. That indicates that the REF is positive (derived) for that SNP, as is your project member. Based only on that SNP, it would suggest that your project member is also somewhere in the R1b branch of the haplotree. (I don’t see BY1181 listed in the public FTDNA haplotree (nor the YFull YTree) so cant confirm this.)

Comment

Working...
      X