Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will BAM files become available again?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was also told "Mid-May" for my BAM file too.

I've been told by others that the GDPR going into effect later this month is why they are saying "Mid-May". Of course, that could be just a rumor too.

I hope they stick to that timetable because I would really like to be able to analyze my full results over at YFull since the analysis tools available to the end user *here* are poor at best. I know a lot of people have been waiting a very long time for theirs.

This is more of a YFull thing, but it would also be nice of YFull would let us upload our STR values that are missing from the VCF files since we can download them from here in CSV format while we wait on the BAM files being available again. When I look at my STR values over there *most* are missing and of course, you can't change and/or enter them manually. Maybe this can be suggested to them somehow (Facebook?)

Comment

Originally posted by mattj949 View Post
      I was also told "Mid-May" for my BAM file too.

I've been told by others that the GDPR going into effect later this month is why they are saying "Mid-May". Of course, that could be just a rumor too.

I hope they stick to that timetable because I would really like to be able to analyze my full results over at YFull since the analysis tools available to the end user *here* are poor at best. I know a lot of people have been waiting a very long time for theirs.

This is more of a YFull thing, but it would also be nice of YFull would let us upload our STR values that are missing from the VCF files since we can download them from here in CSV format while we wait on the BAM files being available again. When I look at my STR values over there *most* are missing and of course, you can't change and/or enter them manually. Maybe this can be suggested to them somehow (Facebook?)
      It actually could be a smart move, if FTDNA is waiting for YFull to declare that it is GDPR complaint. Or at least until the 25th of May 2018, when it could be presumed that any company that deals with EU customer is GDPR complaint. That allows FTDNA to be protected from those future customers who would claim that they had not been aware of the consequences.

YFull is based in Moscow, and while the Russian Federation is not in the European Union, YFull definitely has EU customers. Henceforth, YFull cannot continue without implementing at least some basic GDPR requirements. For example, as of today, YFull does not allow one's data to be totally removed (and it would not be useful to analyze here how YFull is trying to go around that particular requirement).

About STRs
      I do not know why YFull should be interested in the STRs with high mutation rates.

Mr. W.
      Last edited by dna; 13th May 2018, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

So.. has anyone got their BAM file yet? It is mid-may now.

Comment

There is now a button that says "generate BAM" when you go to the Big Y results page and click on the "download" button. After you click it, it says that "your BAM file is being generated." I guess I will just check back over the next few days to see if the translates into anything more substantial.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
            [----] YFull is based in Moscow, and while the Russian Federation is not in the European Union, YFull definitely has EU customers. Henceforth, YFull cannot continue without implementing at least some basic GDPR requirements. For example, as of today, YFull does not allow one's data to be totally removed (and it would not be useful to analyze here how YFull is trying to go around that particular requirement). [----]
            This past Monday, one of the changes at YFull was addition of
            On the "Settings" page in any time you can request removal of your account and all associated samples without the possibility of recovery.

Mr. W.

Comment

Originally posted by adamjh View Post
              There is now a button that says "generate BAM" when you go to the Big Y results page and click on the "download" button. After you click it, it says that "your BAM file is being generated." I guess I will just check back over the next few days to see if the translates into anything more substantial.
              It works, I already got my BAM file.

Comment

Originally posted by Ankor View Post
                Great! That means now that things are getting back to normal, I am going to have to figure out how to raise money for a Big Y test. No more excuses.

Jack

Comment

How long did it take after you clicked the button and got the “Your BAM file is being generated” message?

Comment

How long did it take after you clicked the button and got the “Your BAM file is being generated” message?
                    I think I got it right away

Comment

I think I got it right away
                      Hmmmm. I keep going back to the Big Y results page and when I click on the "Download" button again, it brings up the same popup box, but the "Generate BAM" button is grayed out and the box still says "Your Big Y BAM file is currently being generated." Guess I'll just keep checking back for a few days, unless everyone else and their dog seems to be getting their BAM immediately after clicking the "Generate BAM" button.

Comment

Old b37 BAM files are still not being converted. You just get the old one, with no chance to generate a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
                          Old b37 BAM files are still not being converted. You just get the old one, with no chance to generate a new one.
                          Well, since I just ordered the test in December, I don’t have a BAM file of any kind at the moment, old or new.

Comment

OK, so now there is a BAM file I can download or share. I don’t know if it is hg19 or hg38, but at least I have a BAM file.

Comment

OK, so now there is a BAM file I can download or share. I don’t know if it is hg19 or hg38, but at least I have a BAM file.
                              I can download a BAM, but it is identical to the one I downloaded three (3) years ago...

Mr. W.

Comment

hg38 BAM is there

I got my father's results back this march, so I never could download a BAM file before.

When clicking the new green button to request the BAM, I got a spinning wait symbol for a minute, then I got the "Your Big Y BAM file is currently being generated." message. About 24h later I was able to download the BAM, now next to the "Download VCF"-button there are also buttons "Download BAM" and "Share BAM".

The "Download BAM" gave me a .zip file, that was just under 1 Gigabyte big.

I looked at the header info with samtools and this is the line for the Y-Chromosome Reference Sequence:

@SQ SN:chrY LN:57227415 AS:ucsc.hg38 M5:b2b7e6369564d89059e763cd6e736837 m5:9bd609da53b41a50a724f2a0131ee9c1

So this looks good

Comment

Working...
                                X