Known Big Y match not shown as match

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Known Big Y match not shown as match

My Big Y result is N-Y17416, which is one mutation down from N-FGC14542. I have 4 matches shown against FGC14542, but not the result for FTDNA ID 306389 shown on the FTDNA Swedish Project as having N-FGC14542.

Could this be because 306389 is still waiting for the conversion to Build 38, or just another example of FTDNA's rather less than perfect sorting algorithm?

Do you know if that kit has taken the Big Y or did they just do a SNP test? If they did a SNP test, no idea if that SNP is available for testing on its own, then he won't show up in the Big Y match list.

You could try messaging the admin of that project and see what they say. They can find out if the kit is still waiting on a Big Y conversion.

Comment

Thank you The_Contemplator.
      I think he had taken Big Y, but cannot find my early records at the moment, but as I have had contact with this match I could only have got that through the initial Big Y match info. Anyway I'll contact him, or the Admins, again.

Comment

Big Y Matches in R-Z39589

In the old Big Y I had 800+ matches and now they are all gone except for 2 matches because of the Big Y change. Under the old system I discovered that I was Irish, Scottish & Welsh in haplogroup R-Z39589. I didn't know that before I took this test.

My 2 matches don't know much about their ancestry. They can't trace their tree back to Europe. This doesn't help me in finding my paternal origins.

Will those 800+ matches eventually come back? Z39589 is a very large group and I thought there would be some matches in the new Big Y.

This is somewhat disappointing when all your matches disappear.

Haplogroup L-21>DF13>Z39589>FGC13780>FGC13785.

Thanks
        Last edited by WLGreene55; 11th December 2017, 06:40 AM.

Comment

new BigY matches

Hello WL,
          If you go to your BigY matches page, you'll see a set of tabs above your search results. The 'Matching' tab should be selected by default. There should be a series of SNPs, oldest at the top, youngest at the bottom. The one at the bottom should list your terminal SNP, and right next to it in red it will say 'YOU'. If you look at the number to the right it will tell you how many matches you have for each SNP - if you say that you have 2 matches then the number 2 should show up to the right of 'YOU'. Move your mouse over each of the rows - the background of the row will get changed to a grey color. Click on one of them and you will see the matches for that particular SNP. But you'll only be able to go back to the top row. A new SNP is a mutation, and there is an average of somewhere between 100-200 years per SNP. There is a 'tree' that is maintained with all BigY results, but you have to upload your data to get it into the tree. Go look at the site "www.ytree.net". Click on the tab at the top: 'Instructions'. It will tell you how to download your FamilyTree BigY data to your computer, and how you upload your data to the Y-DNA Data Warehouse so you can see it - use this website for upload: http://www.haplogroup-r.org/submit_data.php. Once you have uploaded your BigY data to the Data Warehouse, it will take a couple of days but then you will be able to go to the "ytree.net" site to see your data and everybody else who is related to you. Try to get your two current matches to upload their data as well, and then you'll see where you fit in the BigY tree. BTW I'm just a user, I am not affiliated with either of these sites. Regards.

Comment

I obviously have not read FTDNA's Big Y FAQ thoroughly enough as I learnt from another thread that the new Big Y matching algorithm only allows 30 Non-Matching Variant before it rejects a possible match so this may also be the cause of the non-show of my N-FGC14542 Swedish cousin in Post # 1.

However the mystery deepens! And I need experts' comments.
            FTDNA show that I have 4 Big Y matches, two are one SNP further up the N-FGC14542 tree, one the same terminal SNP as me, and one is one SNP further down the tree.

When I compare the posted Non-Matching Variants for these four there are at least 11 variants that are present in four results.

My question: How is possible for testers, both below and above me, on the sub-clade tree to have these 11 variants and that they are missing from my Y-chromosome? Do I have to go through my Big Y result file to check? Or is there a simpler explanation?

Comment

Originally posted by Svein Davidsen View Post
              I obviously have not read FTDNA's Big Y FAQ thoroughly enough as I learnt from another thread that the new Big Y matching algorithm only allows 30 Non-Matching Variant before it rejects a possible match so this may also be the cause of the non-show of my N-FGC14542 Swedish cousin in Post # 1.

However the mystery deepens! And I need experts' comments.
              FTDNA show that I have 4 Big Y matches, two are one SNP further up the N-FGC14542 tree, one the same terminal SNP as me, and one is one SNP further down the tree.

When I compare the posted Non-Matching Variants for these four there are at least 11 variants that are present in four results.

My question: How is possible for testers, both below and above me, on the sub-clade tree to have these 11 variants and that they are missing from my Y-chromosome? Do I have to go through my Big Y result file to check? Or is there a simpler explanation?
              A good number of re-mapped BigY results contain some "crap calls" from regions which were not sequenced in the original sample. These results will be filtered out by larger cross sample comparisons - such as the R-U106 age comparison process. FTDNA will get around to filtering out some of th really bad stuff..... we hope.

Comment

Working...
              X