Questions re Big Y results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions re Big Y results

I have just received my Big Y results and have several questions.

1. My haplotree sequence is (I believe) E>M96>P147>L499>P2>M215>L796>M35>V68>M78>
    Z1919>L618>V13>CTS8814>CTS5856>Z5017>
    BY4642. Most of these SNPs are coloured green. However L796 and CTS8814 are shown as "presumed positive" so I take this means I don't need to verify these?
    2. BY4642 is the most recent confirmed positive SNP and this is now my "confirmed haplogroup". Previously (before Big Y) L117 was my "predicted haplogroup". L117 is not in the above sequence but now it is confirmed positive. What part does it now play?
    3. If I click "More..." after BY4642 it shows BY4645 in green in a little box. What does this mean? Is it my current terminal SNP?
    4. A large number of SNPs are coloured purple. I presume these are the SNPs offered for testing in the E-V13 package which is advertised in the same colour?
    5. Assuming the answer to 4 is yes, only testing of SNPs more recent than BY4642 is useful to me. Correct?
    6. However the only SNP that branches off BY4642 is Z38334. So can I assume this is "presumed positive"?
    7. If I click "More..." after Z38334 I see BY4650, BY4647, BY4643, BY4646, BY4644, BY4649, BY4648, BY4651, BY4691 in blue in a box. Also branching off Z38334 is BY4600 and BY4686 in blue. I presume I'd have to test each one to figure out which one is mine? Why are some in a box and some not?
    8. Ultimately however the 159 SNPs in the V13 package are pointless to test because none of them fall in my path. Correct? If I am correct then this is false advertising on FTDNA's part!
    9. Finally I test positive for a whole bunch more SNPs other than the ones above. Examples are PAGES00026+, PAGES00081+, PAGES00102+, PF1442+, PF1531+, PF1532+, PF1534+. There's even some in the A haplogroup such as V168. How do these fit into my picture?

I appreciate any reply which can help answer my questions!

And a note to FTDNA: this post took a long time to type and there appears to be a login time limit. When I finished and tried to submit I was told I was not logged in. I relogged in and then found that all I had typed was lost. Fortunately I had thought to save my text in Wordpad!

1. Yes, no need to verify, there should be enough surrounding positives that a few missed ones shouldn't matter. (but see also below)

3. It simply means that those 2 snps are on the same level, everyone tested so far with one positive also has the other one positive as well.

4,5,6,8. After a BigY there's (usually) no need to test any more SNPs. There are a few cases where a real terminal SNP can have gone untested since BigY doesn't test 100% of the testable area of the Y chromosome. A haplogroup project admin can advise if this is applicable in your case.

7. Blue means "test available". After a BigY you can consider them negative, since otherwise they would have been shown in green. After clicking "More..." (see answer #3) you'll get a box with those SNPs grouped together with the main one.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMcC View Post
      I presume I'd have to test each one to figure out which one is mine?
      In general, the Big Y is the last Y-chromosome test you should ever need. But I recommend YFull's complete analysis of your raw data (BAM file).

The first step is to ask FTDNA to generate your BAM file, using their Contact Form (Change Order, then Big Y BAM Request).

Comment

re Big Y results

Thanks for the reply Broder. However I don't understand the concept of "SNPs on the same level". Can you explain?

My (maybe simplistic) view is a sequence of SNPs between Adam and me where each SNP defines a branch point and successive SNPs gradually decrease in age. However I test positive for many (thousands?) SNPs. I don't see where they fit in the sequence.

Has anyone assigned an age to a SNP? I'd like to know how long ago the BY4642 branch occurred.

What about all the "novel variants" I have. Are they SNPs that haven't been assigned a name? Could some of them be on the path between BY4642 and me?

Originally posted by Broder Tuck View Post
        1. Yes, no need to verify, there should be enough surrounding positives that a few missed ones shouldn't matter. (but see also below)

3. It simply means that those 2 snps are on the same level, everyone tested so far with one positive also has the other one positive as well.

4,5,6,8. After a BigY there's (usually) no need to test any more SNPs. There are a few cases where a real terminal SNP can have gone untested since BigY doesn't test 100% of the testable area of the Y chromosome. A haplogroup project admin can advise if this is applicable in your case.

7. Blue means "test available". After a BigY you can consider them negative, since otherwise they would have been shown in green. After clicking "More..." (see answer #3) you'll get a box with those SNPs grouped together with the main one.

Comment

Working...
        X