Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Received Big Y Results -- do I still need a SNP pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received Big Y Results -- do I still need a SNP pack?

After a few months, I finally received my Big Y results (R-CTS11874) -- wonderful.

But I'm puzzled why my FTDNA dashboard is still encouraging me to pay $99 for the Z192 SNP pack? I thought that the Big Y negated any reason to have further SNP pack testing done?

I have a Y-111 done too, for what that's worth in this case...

Contact the Haplogroup Project Administrator

If you have not yet joined the appropriate Haplogroup project, I would strongly encourage you to do so.

If you have joined a Haplogroup project, then you would be better off contacting them, as they specialize in the haplogroup.

In general, folks who take a Next Generation Sequence (NGS) test such as the Big Y would never need to take another Y-SNP test. However, their are certainly exceptions, which the Haplogroup project should be aware of.

Comment

Will do -- thank you!

Comment

A common misconception

Originally posted by M-V View Post
        I thought that the Big Y negated any reason to have further SNP pack testing done?
        Big Y does not offer a totally comprehensive SNP test, as they admit that it is "experimental" and does not guarantee any particular SNP to be tested. A target SNP for my "subclade" distinction, S2202, was not tested for all the men who are in my haplogroup in Big Y. It has been requested for the SNP pack you mentioned. Recourse to YSEQ or YFull may still be needed.

As mentioned, consult with your Haplo administrator, most of whom will recommend YFull as an inexpensive way to get a possibly "newer" terminal SNP, and eventually, over 400 STR predictions.

Comment

Originally posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
          A target SNP for my "subclade" distinction, S2202, was not tested for all the men who are in my haplogroup in Big Y. It has been requested for the SNP pack you mentioned. Recourse to YSEQ or YFull may still be needed.
          Out of over 500 men in YFull's R1a group, only 5 do not have clear results for S2202. Always negative, of course.

Comment

As others have indicated contact your haplogroup admin for guidance.

The need for a SNP pack follow-up will depend upon the intention of the admin who designed a specific pack. Most packs seem to be limited to SNPs identified via Big-Y. Within the R-U106 haplogroup region we deliberately include variants (INDELs, MNPs, and SNPs) which originate from higher coverage test results to layer them relative to what the Big-Y results are showing. We have established a handful of new haplogroup layers and corresponding branching structures with these results that one would not identify from Big-Y results. If (As) FTDNA makes some of these non-Big-Y variants individually testable then it will be more economical for specific individuals to do a single test over a SNP pack to properly position specific Big-Y results on the tree.

Comment

Working...
            X