No announcement yet.

BAM files are back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also requested on the 24th. I suspect there was a fair pulse of requests around that date as that's when info on how to request started getting around.

Yesterday represents 3 weeks. So we're in the initially quoted time frame. However, I wouldn't be surprised to have it turn out to be another 2-3 weeks based on the inferred demand.

Comment

I requested a number of BAM files (on behalf of project members) on March 24. Nothing yet.

Comment

Thanks guys. I saw a post by mccunney in lgmayka's thread indicating he had requested his BAM file much earlier. My guess is FTDNA made a note of it at the time and they're working through older requests as well as our more recent contact form requests. It would be nice to get it this week but, like MikeP, I won't be surprised if it's delayed.

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
          Nothing yet.
          Still nothing for the kits under my custody.

Comment

Mine actually came through today. Hope you guys don't have to wait much longer!

Comment

Yes

I just got my relative's BAM data.

Comment

My father's BAM data was not there when I checked late yesterday, but is available as of this morning.

Perhaps a logjam has broken up!

Comment

The two kits in my custody now have their BAM files (requested on March 24).

Comment

Also ordered on the 24th, but no luck yet ...

Comment

There is too much inconsistency reported here to allow me to feel good about ordering Big Y at this time. If we pay at that level for results, then delays or fixes should be reported publicly in NEWS for Group Admins, etc. What I am seeing here looks like "hopscotching" of some getting BAM files and others not. Those of us who are contemplating the test have no place to check on this except this forum. So i am glad that it is here, but no one from FTDNA seems to be answering the question.
                      Are BAM files still in a backlog from previous tests, or are the latest testers getting availability when their results are posted as complete?

Comment

still waiting

order mine on march 31st, still waiting for bam link.

Comment

Originally posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
                          There is too much inconsistency reported here to allow me to feel good about ordering Big Y at this time. If we pay at that level for results, then delays or fixes should be reported publicly in NEWS for Group Admins, etc.
                          So you want them to devote some of their time away from giving us results into letting us know about delays and fixes? Well that will just give us more delays. They already give us an estimate as it is for how long we have to wait.

... but no one from FTDNA seems to be answering the question.
                          Are BAM files still in a backlog from previous tests, or are the latest testers getting availability when their results are posted as complete?
                          Does it matter? Say the backlog is gone, well we have a DNA Day Sale going on now. Maybe there will be a new backlog, even if it isn't as big as the one from the Holiday Sale. What changes? You are just waiting for the shortest waiting time. But in doing so you are already waiting with no actual test being processed. You could order the test and then wait. Sooner or later it gets done. Yes there are delays but at the end everyone gets their results.

Comment

[QUOTE=The_Contemplator;425142]So you want them to devote some of their time away from giving us results into letting us know about delays and fixes? Well that will just give us more delays. They already give us an estimate as it is for how long we have to wait.
                            Does it matter?

Yes, customer service matters! Both testers and administrators need to know what is going on, it is not only current customers but potential customers who are in the dark.

The assurance that "one day" we will get results is not quite the same as being informed of the status and eventual usability of the results (BAM files), which is not a side-line for a company that is offering a service that is already confusing to customers, but should be an integral part of it.

It is difficult for a project admin to recommend any testing with any service that cannot resolve such fundamental issues by communicating with customers, especially those services at the high end of the expense range. How do I know that "eventually" I will be able to download a BAM file, when as a customer, I have had at least three vital components of my projects abandoned or simply denied by previous "providers"?

Comment

finally got it

finally got my bam, took about 1 month after requesting

Comment

Yes, customer service matters! Both testers and administrators need to know what is going on, it is not only current customers but potential customers who are in the dark.
                                Well of course it matters. But we already get an idea about the delays. Sure they aren't exact, but when have you ever heard of someone not eventually getting their results? Eventually meaning even after a few delays of course, not anywhere near a year. Basically they can't know ahead of time if you will get results on a set date as only near the end do they see there is a problem at least when processing DNA tests. As for the BAM files, they are big files, they might have some hoops to jump to prepare them for each customer. They might not have their system automated for whatever reason.

I just don't see the advantage of adding to the waiting time you will already have to do. Given how they don't communicate as well as they could, they aren't going to say when the backlog is gone. So you might miss your golden chance and jump once there is a new backlog.

I have had at least three vital components of my projects abandoned or simply denied by previous "providers"?
                                Which components are those?

Comment

Working...
                                X