No announcement yet.

BigY vs STR Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does not matter how many YSTRs one tests you will always need a SNP test to determine the relationship, so the BigY is the most resolute test for a male.

Comment

67 match with same surname

Several years ago I had a match that was 5 steps out at 67 markers, who shared my Schroeder surname. His furthest back paternal ancestor was Luke Schroeder, born in England in 1800. I checked my paternal line tree, and discovered that Kord Schroeder, the brother of my gr-gr-grandfather, Jakob Schroeder, was born in 1775 (in Lower Saxony), and the Genealogy.net site showed "No Children".

The "No Children" label also showed for my gr-grandfather, Johann Schroeder, since he emigrated to Brooklyn, NY in 1866, and the Genealogy.net site doesn't keep track of emigres. So I consider Kord Schroeder as a good candidate to be Luke Schroeder's father, presumably moving to England as an adult.

Our STR results are listed at the Schroeder Surname Project: http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/schroeder/results

He shows positive for E-L542, at the above site, but I don't believe I am positive for that SNP. I will have to check.

I have not yet done the Big-Y, but plan to do so, and will encourage my match to do the same.

Comment

I just checked my SNP tree and I am "Presumed Positive" for E-L542.

I am 16-18 for 385a/b, while he is 15-17. But this counts for 1-step, as these two markers move in tandem. He and I are 9 and 10, respectively, for marker 511, 23 and 21 for marker 413a, and 23 and 24 for marker 481.
        Last edited by Dave123; 18 May 2015, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X