Big-Y matching update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big-Y matching update

Will there be an update regarding "novel" SNP matches in the near future?

Many of the reported shared novel SNPs are found upstream of major subclades and are meaningless when it comes to comparison within subclades and subgroups.

For example: I share ca. 45 novel SNPs with a large number of Big-Y matches, some of these men belong to the subclade I belong to (R-U152) but many belong to other P312 subclades. None of the U152 matches belong to the small subgroup I belong to. The one Big-Y participant who belongs to my small subgroup doesn't even appear in my matches list

That is true!

When I realized what the numbers really meant, I could see that at most 17 SNPs were of real novelty variety (and more likely only 3-5).

When I looked today at https://www.familytreedna.com/my/y-dna-haplotree for the haplogroup R, I could see 14 SNPs that came from Big Y testing (BY prefix). Seven of them were at one position though.

So something is happening. Possibly the tree was adjusted at the same time when then haplogroups were recently corrected.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Are the "BY-SNPs" a result of FTDNA's own research?

Comment

Originally posted by mafe View Post
        Are the "BY-SNPs" a result of FTDNA's own research?
        Go to the page http://isogg.org/tree/index.html and search for SNPs development indicated by beginning letters

W. (Mr.)

Comment

I think some people assume that novel variants are unique to them. Novel simply means new. The Big Y reported variants that are not known SNPs & are thus called novel. Many are upstream.

I download a list of all SNPs for my Big Y participants into an excel spreadsheet. I delete all of the known ones & save only the novel variants. I add a column to the spreadsheet & then go look at matches & record the number of reported matches that share that SNP. In the end, I sort this, taking careful note of those with 0 matches. This is the all important list. Count the number of novel variants. This shows how far removed you are from the terminal SNP or the MRCA of your closest match.

If each novel variant has a value of an average of 135 years, which some have suggested, in many cases, this means you have to go back 2,000 to 4,000 years before finding the y-DNA MRCA with your closest matches.

As more people participate in the Big Y, each of us will no doubt get a lot of matches that are quite a bit closer than that.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Working...
          X