Definitions please . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitions please . . . .

I'm still struggling with understanding the whole subject even after having all the tests, including BigY, and submitting to YFull, attending the August conference in DC and trying to read some of the scientific papers. Please forgive this relatively basic question:

Can someone provide a coherent definition for "private SNP" and "novel SNP" in the context of the BigY and YFull analyses?

Thanks!

My layman understanding:

An SNP is an SNP regardless if it is known, old, novel, private or any other label people tend to apply as they are all formed by the same biological process.

'Novel' is a term FTDNA came up with to differentiate between SNP's that were included/excluded their database prior to BigY being introduced. Those that were are called 'known' SNP's by FTDNA are those that were in their database prior to BigY. Those that were not in their database they call novel. Many FTDNA 'novels' were known by other studies.

'Private' is a term used by ISOGG and adopted by others. The criteria has been refined over time. Last I recall reading it referred to SNP's that had arisen in the last 500 years.

Earl.

Comment

Thanks for that explanation. Regrettfully, I suspect that we both have a bit more studying to do on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Haggis View Post
        I'm still struggling with understanding the whole subject even after having all the tests, including BigY, and submitting to YFull, attending the August conference in DC and trying to read some of the scientific papers. Please forgive this relatively basic question:

Can someone provide a coherent definition for "private SNP" and "novel SNP" in the context of the BigY and YFull analyses?

Thanks!
        The correct answer to this question is "NO".

I've tried to get one out of FTDNA and failed abysmally.
        They HONESTLY don't know what it means. The answer is
        FAR too far buried inside their software.

I can however give you one for the Clan Donald project,
        because I wrote the software that does the assigning.
        But is useless except for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Haggis View Post
          FTDNA use the terms somewhat differently.

FTDNA:
          Novel Variant: A SNP that is not on their predetermined list of 36,000 Known (and named) SNPs.

YFull:
          Novel SNP: A SNP with no publicly known name which is not (yet) shared with anyone else in one's clade
          Private: A SNP that has a public name but which is not (yet) shared with anyone else in one's clade. The public name may have been given first to another instance of this SNP in a different haplogroup.

Comment

Novel SNP: A SNP with no publicly known name which is not (yet) shared with anyone else in one's clade.

So what does one do when you find out that you share 10 Novel SNPs with someone in your clade

Comment

Originally posted by sasha39 View Post
              So what does one do when you find out that you share 10 Novel SNPs with someone in your clade
              That state should not persist for long. If YFull sees that you and your fellow clade member share 10 Novel SNPs, YFull should define a new subclade for you two. But of course, this may take a few weeks.

Comment

Hi Larry,

Thanks for that, my results have been in YFull for a long time now and when the other persons BigY results came in the Bam file was sent to the team at YFull to be analyzed so hopefully it won't be too long before we get a answer, looks like the G line might get a defining SNP or two.

Comment

Working...
                X