No announcement yet.

Pictish Discovery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might be wrong here but members of Irish clans are not necessarily blood related right? Not in quite the same way as Scottish clans?

Normans... well... Many Breton's came with the Normans so Celtic stock with Norman/French names would have come part and parcel.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonBeam86 View Post
      I might be wrong here but members of Irish clans are not necessarily blood related right? Not in quite the same way as Scottish clans?

Normans... well... Many Breton's came with the Normans so Celtic stock with Norman/French names would have come part and parcel.
      The dna results show that they belong to different haplogroups.

The Normans were Normans.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
        The dna results show that they belong to different haplogroups.

The Normans were Normans.
        I dont doubt. What i'm saying is that the Norman invasion did not strictly contain Normans - there were all manner of other Knights from the rest of Northern France - with a large contingent of Breton's who'd have carried French names- all legal documents and the such at the time were in French so most names would have been recorded in Francophone at least. The Knights within the Norman army would have carried names like... for example Walter FitzOtho, who was father of Gerald FitzWalter... and subsequent ancestor to the FitzGerald dynasty. Those Breton's who came along with the invasion would likely have been Celtic as Brittany had been resettled by Cornish and South Welsh.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonBeam86 View Post
          In my studies of clan Gregor, I know of less than 100 Ian Cam, direct descendants of the Clan founder. Whereas there are more than 1000 clan entries. Granted many are septs, but even the McGregors are generally not "MacGregors". In my case I appear to be a native Briton and would be called a "partaker" by other clansmen. Oftimes, names, per se', do not indicate much? In the same way, I believe Picts was a broad term to indicate people populating a region, and has little to do with genetic heritage. We have to find that out ourselves.

Comment

Timothy
            Don't be worrying yourself about me. I don't really care. I have been waiting for eight years now for a 37 or a 67 marker match with or without the same surname. I don't think that it is possible to determine when exactly a person's, before the paper trail, ancestors arrived in a region. Surnames are no help at all.There are so many men with the same surname who belong in different ydna branches.
            I feel your pain, I am also hoping for a 37 or 67 marker match with or without the same surname in the UK. Would be extremely happy with even a 12 marker match in United Kingdom for my R-U152 Colonial Virginia Adams Surname.

I'm starting to believe in UFO's at this point as to how my Adams arrived in Virginia

Perhaps as more folks are tested and as the R-U152 project grows I'll get lucky one day.

Comment

Originally posted by K. L. Adams View Post
              I feel your pain, I am also hoping for a 37 or 67 marker match with or without the same surname in the UK. Would be extremely happy with even a 12 marker match in United Kingdom for my R-U152 Colonial Virginia Adams Surname.

I'm starting to believe in UFO's at this point as to how my Adams arrived in Virginia

Perhaps as more folks are tested and as the R-U152 project grows I'll get lucky one day.
              I belong to the U106>Z381>Z156>S5520>S5556 branch and I am very proud of my ancestors and I hope that they would be proud of me also.
              The U106 clan are a decent bunch and even though I don't agree with some of their theories, I am happy to be a part of the clan.

Comment

I belong to the U106>Z381>Z156>S5520>S5556 branch and I am very proud of my ancestors and I hope that they would be proud of me also.
                The U106 clan are a decent bunch and even though I don't agree with some of their theories, I am happy to be a part of the clan.
                I am R-U152 > Z56+ and awaiting my test results for Z146. Not sure if my clan were a decent bunch or not

Comment

Originally posted by K. L. Adams View Post
                  I am R-U152 > Z56+ and awaiting my test results for Z146. Not sure if my clan were a decent bunch or not
                  Don't beat yourself up about it. You seem like a decent guy.

Comment

http://www.orkneyjar.com/archaeology...oric-genetics/
                    “Together, these should provide us with a profile of the pre-Viking population between c. 3000 BC and c.500 AD. While the extraction of genetic material from ancient remains can be difficult, the quality of the bone is very good and preliminary DNA analyses at both sites have already proved successful.

“The great news is that we have secured funding to undertake genetic investigations in 2015-16, in collaboration with an academic body.”

Comment

Still waiting for ancient Pictish samples to become available.

My paternal lineage hails from Montrose (Usan, Ferryden) Angus, NE Scotland, as far back as the 1500s. I am U106, L1, S6961. Noting from POBI that NE Scotland has a sizeable U106 contingent. However believe this may be due to later settlements of people. Especially since specifically U106, L1 appears sizeable in SW Scotland too according to POBI which is known to have later Viking and Norman connections.

Comment

The University of the Highlands and Islands have just advertised for a postdoctoral researcher to work on the Pictish and Norse remains from Newark Bay in Deerness so hopefully some Pictish samples may be available at some point soon!

​​​​​​https://www.uhi.ac.uk/en/staff/vacan...cher-orca.html

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandrina View Post
                          LOST PICTS ?

It is my understanding that S.P. Chromo 2 predicts S530 as the Pictish signature and this equates to L1335 in FTNDA terms.
                          Downstream Pict Clans it is argued are within: CTS11722> L1065 > S744

With MacGregors and their ILK being S691 S695 S690 and terminal S696 for the current Chief.

If Dr Wilson is correct regarding the 10% of Scottish men = L1335 / S530 and only Zero point eight of Englishmen 0.8% then we all will look forward to future peer review outcomes.

The MacGregors are said to descend from the House of Alpin - Kenneth McAlpin- The so named 'Pictish Kingdom' 840 CE- 1030 circa in Alba .
                          Yes. That's my understanding, as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X