Big Y for paternal grandfather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Y for paternal grandfather?

I took the big Y test when it first came out. I'm wondering if there is any use in testing my paternal grandfather, who is 90 years old. I know I may have limited time to do so (although his health is great). Just received a 100$ off coupon for big Y from the holiday sale. Any advice out there? Will there be any meaningful variation between my results and his, seeing as he falls on my direct paternal line?

Originally posted by KCWelch View Post
    I took the big Y test when it first came out. I'm wondering if there is any use in testing my paternal grandfather, who is 90 years old. I know I may have limited time to do so (although his health is great). Just received a 100$ off coupon for big Y from the holiday sale. Any advice out there? Will there be any meaningful variation between my results and his, seeing as he falls on my direct paternal line?
    You would in my view be wasting your money. A FF test would be better.

Comment

I've already done the FF for him. Would there be any benefit to doing bigY for him?

Comment

Originally posted by KCWelch View Post
        I've already done the FF for him. Would there be any benefit to doing bigY for him?
        You should have the same YSNPs. All your male first,second and third cousins should have the same YDNA.

Comment

I agree with 1798. There would be little purpose in spending that much money, even with $100 off the sale price for Big Y. Since your grandfather has also already tested FF, the best thing to do is to offer your $100 off Big Y coupon to someone in the same subclade as your paternal line.

Are you in a haplogroup project? If so, I'm sure the project administrators can find someone, probably in the same subclade as you, who would order Big Y if you gave that person your coupon. Comparing Big Y results for another person in your subclade to your results and others in your subclade may reveal new subclade-defining SNPs. That would certainly benefit your knowledge of your paternal line.

Comment

If you have $$$ to spend...

All the above responses are correct.

However, by design, the process used for Big Y might not detect some SNPs. And you would not know which ones. That is why FTDNA recommends testing for individual SNPs and not Big Y, when one desires knowledge about particular SNPs...

So from $$$ perspective, testing your grandfather might be not optimal. From the investigative, genealogical research perspective it might be priceless.

W.

P.S. The above analysis does not even consider a possibility, that some private SNP found through your Big Y test could be new starting with you or your father.

Comment

There is very little utility in testing your grandfather,
              unless you have specific questions about other descendants of his.

The probability is 50% or so that there would be no real
              differences between you and him. There will be scads
              of APPARENT differences, on the web pages, but most will
              not turn out real when checked in the BAM files.

But if you have specific cousin questions, it could
              just possibly help.

Not worth the money.

Comment

There is no value genealogically by doing a Big Y for a paternal grandfather.

However, it might be interesting from the viewpoint of science. It would be interesting to compare your and his Big Y results to see how well the Big Y test is doing and if there was a new mutation either for your father or you.

Comment

Originally posted by S9 H9 View Post
                  There is no value genealogically by doing a Big Y for a paternal grandfather. [----]
                  Big Y by itself helps in genealogical research only in very special circumstance, which might or might no be applicable to your family research. For most of people, they are not applicable.

My comment was referring to the following statement from the Family Tree DNA Learning Center:
                  Q.Q. Can you tell me if the BIG Y product will cover a specific SNP?
                  A.A. No, we cannot. Results vary from sample to sample. Single specific SNPs are better ordered as such.

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...testing/big-y/

W.

Comment

Thanks you all for the information! This is very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                    X