X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tommypeters
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    You might want to ask the company if they really report full Y chromosome. Their reply might be helpful to many of us. We all know they we see many false claims in advertisements.
    They bend the truth as does all other companies, including FTDNA ("10 million base pairs is more than any other Y-DNA test out there"), in the field. They test (*everything that is possible to test right now*) of the Full Genome...

Leave a comment:

• tommypeters
    replied
    Originally posted by KCWelch View Post
    Good to know. Admittedly, I am anxious to test the older generation, what about sequencing the full Y chromosome? Any news on this from ftdna
    The most important thing now is to get a sample from them. Take the cheapest test from FTDNA and return only one of the swabs, store the other yourself if a better company (in your view) emergs. And/or take the cheapest test from more companies already, the important thing is to get the DNA somewhere... ...that isn't AncestryDNA.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    There's at least one company out there offering full Y chromosome at this point. Is the technology there or is it not financially viable? I'm confused by this.
    You might want to ask the company if they really report full Y chromosome. Their reply might be helpful to many of us. We all know they we see many false claims in advertisements.

Leave a comment:

• Wing_Genealogis
    replied
    There's at least one company out there offering full Y chromosome at this point. Is the technology there or is it not financially viable? I'm confused by this.
    They only offer the roughly half the Y-Chromosome which is currently able to be identified. They do not (and currently cannot) test for the other half which has not yet been deciphered.

Leave a comment:

• KCWelch
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wing_Genealogis
    replied
    Y chromosome currently sequenced at roughly 50%

Currently only about half of the Y-chromosome is able to be sequenced. The other half of the chromosome is extremely repetitive and is beyond the current ability to accurately sequence one segment as different from a similar segment elsewhere (both on the Y chromosome as well as other chromosomes).

Certainly, longer read-lengths will help with being able to sequence more of the Y-chromosome, but even if we were able to properly sequence the whole chromosome, the additional refinement is currently believed to be fairly modest. I believe the current estimate of improvement is in the 10-15% range.

Leave a comment:

• KCWelch
    replied
    Good to know. Admittedly, I am anxious to test the older generation, what about sequencing the full Y chromosome? Any news on this from ftdna

Leave a comment:

• mkdexter
    replied
    Bennett stated today at the GAP conference that full genome sequencing is out there, but it has gaps. We also heard about this when David Mittleman spoke about full sequencing technology; there are gaps due to the technology at this stage. Full genome for the consumer is not mature yet, in other words, and if a person takes a full genome test now (say the consumer version), a full genome test a few years down the road will have more information (less gaps) so it is to our advantage to be patient and wait its maturity.

Leave a comment:

• KCWelch
    started a topic Next generation testing

Next generation testing

Any news out there on next generation testing? I think we've seen the availability if a full genome now for less than 2k. When will FTDNA get in on this? Or offering full Y? I know I would be game for testing. I have two relatives in there 90s and really would like to test them with a full genome before it's too late. I've already got back up samples stored but you never know if they will be good. Any news on this?
Working...
X