BIG Y MATCHING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG Y MATCHING

Am I the only one finding the BIG Y matching tool useless, or, very near to that, due to the large number of obvious "errors"? The lists of Non-Matches, for three of us, in the same surname sub-group, have too many errors to list here.
    Last edited by fmoakes; 27 August 2014, 08:48 PM.

Originally posted by fmoakes View Post
    Am I the only one finding the BIG Y matching tool useless, or, very near to that, due to the large number of obvious "errors"?
    For me as an administrator of a large project, the Big Y matching tool is very useful but only a first step. I really need professional expertise to sort out the reliable SNPs from the unreliable. That is why I encourage all Big Y participants in my project to get an inexpensive professional analysis from a company like YFull. (Competing analysis companies include FullGenomes and clarifYDNA.)

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
      For me as an administrator of a large project, the Big Y matching tool is very useful but only a first step. I really need professional expertise to sort out the reliable SNPs from the unreliable. That is why I encourage all Big Y participants in my project to get an inexpensive professional analysis from a company like YFull. (Competing analysis companies include FullGenomes and clarifYDNA.)
      I agree. It does give one a place to start. I have access to the members pages, as the Surname Project Admin and have my YFull results back. It would be very difficult to get much meaning for the individual members looking at their Matching page, without this additional insight. It did feel good to vent a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by fmoakes View Post
        I agree. It does give one a place to start. I have access to the members pages, as the Surname Project Admin and have my YFull results back. It would be very difficult to get much meaning for the individual members looking at their Matching page, without this additional insight. It did feel good to vent a bit.
        FTDNA should give anyone that does the Big-Y a list of their private SNPs in their raw data and then they wouldn't need outside help.

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
          That is why I encourage all Big Y participants in my project to get an inexpensive professional analysis from a company like YFull.
          Just a caveat:

YFull requires a $49 fee to unlock the customer's private results. Previously, this payment was made through PayPal. PayPal is still an option, but the payment page now "recommends" a Russian payment system called Assist, which reportedly employs and perhaps requires the 3-D Secure protocol. This protocol apparently requires some special setup with the bank that issued your credit card.

The most important point is that PayPal is still an option--you simply have to look for the PayPal button. And PayPal does not require creation of an account--you can use a credit card directly. (Look for the Visa/Mastercard icon.) In fact, donations to FTDNA projects go through PayPal's site the same way.
          Last edited by lgmayka; 30 August 2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I was just considering The Big Y and checking the forums on the reliability of YFull.com--but lgmayka's comments on the the Russian payment wrinkle are a giant red flag, so to speak.

Does YFull.com provide useful and reliable analysis?

Comment

Originally posted by RDickinson View Post
              I was just considering The Big Y and checking the forums on the reliability of YFull.com--but lgmayka's comments on the the Russian payment wrinkle are a giant red flag, so to speak.

Does YFull.com provide useful and reliable analysis?
              There is another company which can perform the same analysis on Big Y raw data for the same price. That's Full Genomes Corp. (FGC). You can read about it at http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Full_Genomes_Corporation.

Comment

And this site https://www.clarifydna.com/ maybe worth consideration for $30 analysis. But keep in mind that you can still use PayPal on the YFull site.

Comment

Am I the only one finding the BIG Y matching tool useless, or, very near to that, due to the large number of obvious "errors"?
                  The Big Y does identify people from my obscure subclade. However this subclade branches, so a positive result from a single SNP, tested by the Big Y, seems to indicate one of the branches but not the other.

Comment

Working...
                  X