"New" BigYs and their novel variants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" BigYs and their novel variants

Why "new" BigYs have so few private novel variants?
    I noticed that all my "new" BigY-matches(5 matches,match date=09.07.2014) have 2 or even 3 times less private novel variants(in 3-rd tab of detailed info, called "XXXXXX's SNPs"), if compared with "old" BigY-matches(10 matches,match date before 09.07.2014).
    And I am not alone who noticed it.
    Is it due to privacy restrictions, bug, or drop in quality of "new" BigYs ordered in june? Or any other reason?
    If interested in the matter, I can give my kit number.

We have asked FTDNA and have not gotten an answer. Luckily, as far as I know, all the private SNPs are present in the BAM file (which must be explicitly requested from FTDNA). So if you get your BAM file and submit it to YFull, YFull should find your private SNPs.

Comment

Thanks for reply. My bigY is the "old" one, and YFull analysis already done. And nearly all(15) best qual private snps found by YFull are also shown among my novels at FTDNA. And this is true for all "old" bigYs. But it is not the same with "new" bigYs, that are shown in my matches. I can see that for all "new" bigYs, actually only one best qual private snp is shown among their few private novels shown by FTDNA(other their private novels are of unreliable qual and useless).
      I wish FTDNA to show all novels also for "new" bigY, as it was done for "old" bigYs.
      Because, actually not all of bigY-owners intend to send their BAMs to YFull.

Comment

In addition to checking bam files ( and can be done much earlier) people should check the vcf and bed files. This
        could give leads on what is happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvester View Post
          I wish FTDNA to show all novels also for "new" bigY, as it was done for "old" bigYs.
          Because, actually not all of bigY-owners intend to send their BAMs to YFull.
          The old number of "novels" was not an accurate presentation. A good number of them were not novel.

Comment

Originally posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
            In addition to checking bam files ( and can be done much earlier) people should check the vcf and bed files. This
            could give leads on what is happening.
            I believe the vcf and bed files can be submitted to Chris Morley for analysis.

Comment

The bug is fixed already. Now(since Saturday) I can see more private novels of matched kits. And all of them(10-20) are of best quality and mostly private.

Comment

Working...
              X