Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Y matching need basic info on novels and haplogroupsnew terminal snp

Some basic information please:

as a small haplogroup project manager the Matching option for novel variants comment leaves me confused. It seems to me that to find a new haplogroup terminal snp that defines a new downstream subhap, we have to find several men of the same known subhaplogroup who report a matched novel variant and also another similar man who does not have the novel. I may be all wrong, but if correct, dont we need to see the unmatched variants between these men. I dont see the tool providing that at all.

To try to see the unmatched novels, i downloaded the novel varients for each and compared one man to another. i can see missing novels in the two lists . Do the missing novels indicate an unmatched novel? i also see a genotype for each novel. To “match” at ftdna tool, did genotypes have to be the same or simply the novel number?

find a new haplogroup terminal snp that defines a new downstream subhap
    I suppose it depends on the novel variant in relationship the importance to the subclade. There is only one known novel variant which indicates my subclade. If it is not on their list they are not in my subclade. I guess this means you have to know specially what your looking for before you begin. That is, what novel variants are indicators of your subclade. Was this even close to answering your question?

Comment

My understanding is that a novel variant is not yet a declared SNP. A terminal snp defines a subhap . Therefore a novel variant cant define a subhap by definition - as i understand it.

Comment

Therefore a novel variant cant define a subhap by definition - as i understand it.
        If someone in the sub clade has taken a Full genome test , their results
        can be used to pick up big Y novel variant "indicators " of that sub clade. In my group , the presence of novel variant ChrY: 8501059
        Matches one person , who is the other person in my subclade who took the Big Y.

Comment

Working...
        X