• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efgen View Post
    The spinning / not loading issue should now be fixed

Elise
    Yes, it works! Thank you, Elise!
    But still need to reload the page before opening novels of another match. Otherwise the novels(in the 2nd and 3rd folder) are from previous match.
    Last edited by Sylvester; 26 June 2014, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
      I have no doubt the haplotree will be successfully extended as more samples are analyzed. However, I remain deeply skeptical of attempts to compute dates with such precision from what is evidently a random process that depends on some large but unknown number of different processes that need not behave uniformly across the Y chromosome. I rely on experience: genetic processes have always turned out to be exquisitely more complex than first predicted. But then, I have always thought this way. I remember when the words "junk DNA" were first spoken jokingly by the gurus of the time, and how the idea caught on as if it were a real thing. Somehow the fact that this "junk DNA" (including our STR's and SNP's) is highly conserved just didn't register at the time, and now the discovery of more and more uses for non-coding DNA has become one of the most important research trends.
      You don't seem to be happy about the 150 years per YSNP so how many years should it be in your opinion?

Comment

COUNTIF

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
        Do you have Excel? If so, you can use the COUNTIF formula.

Load person's data beginning in cell A1. Click somewhere in the list and then click on the Insert tab and say insert table.

Load the other person's data in cell K1 and make another table.

In cell I2, write this formula (it will add a column)

=COUNTIF(L:L, B2)

In cell S2, write this formula

=COUNTIF(B:B,L2)

In the first person's table, click on the drop-down list at the top of column I and ask to display only records with a "0". That will be your list of variants found only in person one. Copy those records to a new worksheet. Reset the filter to show all records.

Repeat the process with the drop-down list at the top of column S.

I hope I've named the columns correctly for your download.
        Thanks Ann. COUNTIF works great.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
          You don't seem to be happy about the 150 years per YSNP so how many years should it be in your opinion?
          It isn't the figure that bothers me, it's the assumption that a computed average rate of appearance of the known SNP's can or should be applied in this way, especially without any means for validating the results.

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
            It isn't the figure that bothers me, it's the assumption that a computed average rate of appearance of the known SNP's can or should be applied in this way, especially without any means for validating the results.
            If they tested ancient remains in Ireland from 3000 ypb and discovered that they were Z156 the group that I am in, how would I be able to prove that I was linked to them? At 150 years per SNP I would have a 20 more SNPs downstream. So ancient dna testing results will still not prove origin for any of us.

Comment

Working...
            X