Shared Novel Variants Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Novel Variants Tool

Has anyone gotten this to respond? I still get stuck on the spinning wheel. Like others I've tried different browsers.

I hadn't checked for a few days, but I did still get the spinning wheels this morning when I accessed his account from his personal login.

It has been working for me when I access his account from my project administrator page, but I have to refresh the page before looking at a different match. The matching SNPs column works fine, but if I don't refresh I get the same non matching lists as the previous person had. I must still have a caching option that I haven't disabled.

I have a Windows 8.1 operating system, using Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox 30.0.

Susan

Comment

No not working for me either. I have tried three different operating systems , three different browsers, and cleaning the cache before each try.

Comment

Still not working for me.

Comment

Yes oddly enough I to can get it to work through my project administer account but not through my regular account. Odd. But this tells me the glitch is clearly on their end , and nothing to do with operating system/ browser issues.

Comment

a hint to override eternal "spinning wheel"

Originally posted by Snickering_Homin View Post
            Has anyone gotten this to respond? I still get stuck on the spinning wheel. Like others I've tried different browsers.
            There is a hint to override eternal "spinning wheel", but it takes a lot of time to get all the info from a match(about 2 hours for 1 match).
            But you could try it.

The main rule is:
            make requests(click/or roll the list of novels) NO MORE THAN ONCE DURING 11 MINUTES! Otherwise you get that eternal "spinning wheel".
            It works for me.

Instruction:
            1) open your bigY-matching page
            2) WAIT FOR 11 MINUTES!
            3) click on the match's number of shared novels
            4) WAIT FOR 11 MINUTES!
            5) roll slowly the list of novels. If it tries to load more - wait another 11 minutes before rolling it again. And so on, and on ...
            6) WAIT FOR 11 MINUTES!
            7) click on another folder of the detailed info, and again wait another 11 minutes before rolling it down or clicking another folder.
            8) before going to another match you should reload the page(otherwise you get the same novels from your previous match) and again wait for 11 minutes
            It's inconvenient but working.

I hope FTDNA will fix this bug ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
              Yes oddly enough I to can get it to work through my project administer account but not through my regular account. Odd. But this tells me the glitch is clearly on their end , and nothing to do with operating system/ browser issues.
              Maybe I don't understand the problem, but, everything seems to work for me on my MAC, using the Chrome browser. And, it does not matter if I open my account directly or through my GAP.

Comment

Unique Novel Variants

I and a member of my Surname project are GD 9 (STR 111) and GD 2 (Known SNPs). We match on 257 Novel Variants. I have a lists of our matching NVs, my 287 NVs and his 331 NVs. I very much want lists of each of our unique NVs. Any one have a suggestion on how to build those unique NV lists, other than the brute force manual search that I am doing? I am getter there, but, I'm sure this is an embarrassingly stupid way of doing it.

Comment

Maybe I don't understand the problem, but, everything seems to work for me on my MAC, using the Chrome browser. And, it does not matter if I open my account directly or through my GAP.
                  Well that's part of the puzzle , why it works for some but not others. At least from the regular log in. It works just fine in Gap software. As I said, this fact establishes the fact it is not the computer or operating system. It almost seems like a permission issue. I keep on writing customer service so hopefully someone will figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by fmoakes View Post
                    I and a member of my Surname project are GD 9 (STR 111) and GD 2 (Known SNPs). We match on 257 Novel Variants. I have a lists of our matching NVs, my 287 NVs and his 331 NVs. I very much want lists of each of our unique NVs. Any one have a suggestion on how to build those unique NV lists, other than the brute force manual search that I am doing? I am getter there, but, I'm sure this is an embarrassingly stupid way of doing it.
                    Even after you compose these lists, you may not know which SNPs are reliable.

If you can possibly afford it, I suggest that each submit his Big Y BAM file to YFull for professional analysis. The $49 fee is not required until after analysis is complete. (Paying the fee "unlocks" your analysis for viewing.) You will have to ask FTDNA for your BAM file first. (The BAM file is about 1 GB in size, so FTDNA sends only a hyperlink; you can submit this hyperlink directly to YFull.)

Comment

Originally posted by fmoakes View Post
                      Do you have Excel? If so, you can use the COUNTIF formula.

Load person's data beginning in cell A1. Click somewhere in the list and then click on the Insert tab and say insert table.

Load the other person's data in cell K1 and make another table.

In cell I2, write this formula (it will add a column)

=COUNTIF(L:L, B2)

In cell S2, write this formula

=COUNTIF(B:B,L2)

In the first person's table, click on the drop-down list at the top of column I and ask to display only records with a "0". That will be your list of variants found only in person one. Copy those records to a new worksheet. Reset the filter to show all records.

Repeat the process with the drop-down list at the top of column S.

I hope I've named the columns correctly for your download.

Comment

Larry, have you elsewhere discussed the definition of a reliable novel variant?

Comment

Big Y Matching

Don't think I've actually located the matching tool from my FTDNA account.

Thus far I've scrolled to the bottom of the 'Welcome to myFTDNA'page and under Other Results clicked on Big Y Matches. The page opens up quickly to reveal the words 'No data available in table'. My own Big Y results opens quickly but makes no sense to me!

No sign of a Novel SNPs tab which is supposed to reveal any matches.

I'm newly classed as Q-CTS1780 but was Q-Z780 prior to the Big Y test.

Advice, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Snickering_Homin View Post
                            Can a few of you who are having this issue send me your kit numbers via private message?

Thanks!
                            Elise

Comment

Spinning wheel has never stopped spinning for me, kit H1003.

Funny thing, this spinning wheel looks a lot like a similar never-ending spinning wheel I encountered in McAfee anti-virus software that was looking for quarantined virus files on my Windows computer. By chance, does the novel SNP comparison script make use of the default Windows disk index? If so, a bad idea, since you have no way of knowing how a customer might have configured the index! In any case, there's no good reason why comparing two <I>sorted</I> lists of SNP's should take more than a fraction of a second. It could be done by eye much faster than the never-ending process that's happening right now on my computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X