Big Y Matching and Privacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Y Matching and Privacy

I was dismayed to see that my Big Y results were suddenly being exposed to a wider audience via the Big Y matching function without my permission or any way to control the exposure as can be done with STR results on the "Match and E-mail Settings" page. I was still doing some personal analysis of my results before releasing the data publicly, but got blind-sided by my data suddenly being made public. This is very discouraging.

Originally posted by M. L. Hebert View Post
    I was dismayed to see that my Big Y results were suddenly being exposed to a wider audience via the Big Y matching function without my permission or any way to control the exposure as can be done with STR results on the "Match and E-mail Settings" page. I was still doing some personal analysis of my results before releasing the data publicly, but got blind-sided by my data suddenly being made public. This is very discouraging.
    I think the matching function is excellent. And a move in the right direction for individuals who want to connect with others who share there ancestral background.

Comment

I was still doing some personal analysis of my results before releasing the data publicly, but got blind-sided by my data suddenly being made public.
      Revealing your email address and DNA results to people who closely match you is not the same as publication (exposure to the general public). But at the very least, FTDNA should make clear to customers that email addresses and other highly identifying information are not meant for general publication except by permission.
      Last edited by lgmayka; 15 June 2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Personally, I'm in favor of the new feature (even though I can't make full use of it because I'm still getting that spinner icon when I ask for details). It follows the spirit of the original consent document closely enough to satisfy me. But obviously Big Y parameters are not included.

https://www.familytreedna.com/privacy-policy.aspx

What would you suggest?

Comment

I'm in favor of the new feature (even though I can't make full use of it because I'm still getting that spinner icon when I ask for details).
          Your not alone. When I saw this post I thought " well a privacy issue isn't serious if the program doesn't work "

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
            Personally, I'm in favor of the new feature (even though I can't make full use of it because I'm still getting that spinner icon when I ask for details). It follows the spirit of the original consent document closely enough to satisfy me. But obviously Big Y parameters are not included.

https://www.familytreedna.com/privacy-policy.aspx

What would you suggest?
            Lol, same here, just keeps spinning and spinning and spinning. I contacted the help desk. They suggested closing the browser and trying again, but, alas, this makes no difference.

Comment

I tried 3 other browsers, 3 different operating systems and cache cleaning before each attempt. Easier to just write the person to ask " do have such and such, novel variant ? "

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
                I tried 3 other browsers, 3 different operating systems and cache cleaning before each attempt. Easier to just write the person to ask " do have such and such, novel variant ? "
                I have been asking my project administrators, because not every match will not respond. A good project administrator is invaluable. Thanks Lukasz and Larry!

Comment

It is only the novel matching SNP and known non-matching SNP that are shared with your match - so there is nothing odd shared with your match.

The benefit of paying USD 500 is to match and analyse else why test at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Pillar_of_fire View Post
                    It is only the novel matching SNP and known non-matching SNP that are shared with your match - so there is nothing odd shared with your match.

The benefit of paying USD 500 is to match and analyse else why test at all?
                    Well, I´m sure the new tool will be good in the future, but at present it isn´t all that helpful as I already get a better analysis from YFull. I am also in a haplogroup project where the admins are very helpful and great experts. Initially I reacted the same way as the OP. I did not wish for everyone in the entire branch to know the name behind the kit number.

I am very glad we now have the choice of opting out of the BigY matching feature! I thank FTDNA for that. My next BigY kit will not be ”outed” without warning, I hope.

Comment

New Option on Match and E-mail Settings Page

FTDNA has now added an option on the Match and E-mail Settings page on whether or not to share Big Y results and participate in matching. I am all in favor of having the Big Y matching feature available. All that that I was asking for was to have the option of when and if to utilize this feature and make my Big Y results, or parts of them, available to a wider audience.

Comment

I am very glad we now have the choice of opting out of the BigY matching feature
                        There are still people out there who do not know their subclade. It would be a mistake for them to opt out. There are a few novel variant indicators of my subclade. I am looking through these novel variants to help reach out to others.I am sure others are doing the same thing.

Comment

I tried to edit my above post but couldn't. Opting out and not making your novel variants available also does not allow people with subclades defined by other companies, like FSC, to find candidates. You remain tied to the Geno 2 Stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Inge View Post
                            ...... I did not wish for everyone in the entire branch to know the name behind the kit number.
                            Please note - There is no kit number displayed on the BIG Y matching page.

Comment

I'm all in favour of privacy, however I find it a bit annoying that some people are happy to benefit from matching data but are not happy to share their own. Surely it's a two way street?

I have my initial, surname and an email that doesn't include my name, I find this anonymises my personal info enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X