Big-Y Matching release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big-Y Matching release?

Bennett Greenspan's talk last week at the SCGS mentions a new Big-Y matching capability being released "Tuesday or Wednesday". While it should be released when ready (and the track record for FTDNA releasing on a particular announced date is not spectacular in any case), I was wondering if anyone had heard more about this.

If you missed it, the talk is here. Worthwhile if you have an hour to kill.

They are currently in beta testing with a certain number of kits to work out bugs and make sure things are working right. I do not know how many kits are involved but I was one of the kits selected.

I am R-Z12, and our R-U106 Haplogoup project has been working on comparing Big-Y kits within the project since FTDNA started releasing Big-Y results. There was no big surprise for me on who I match as we already had that information from our Project. What is nice is that you can compare your Novel SNPs with your matches to see where you match and where you differ. It appears that there is a cutoff at 4 'known SNP Difference' with the matching kits.

Gerald

Comment

Gerald, thanks for that insight. Good to know!

Comment

Wow!

I just took a first look at my matches and it is really interesting. I recognize two names from my haplotype project but there are lots more equally close. In two minutes a tree of sorts appears, one difference within my surname, another that seems further back.

Comment

Yes, it's here! I just got the e-mail announcing Big Y matching, and surely enough, I found the icon next to my Big Y results. I have a feeling a lot of other people got the same message, because some of the features were very slow to load.

Exactly where we go from here isn't entirely clear to me, but with enough probing, it should be possible to determine if any additional variants, novel or otherwise, can be placed on the haplotree.

Comment

I'm not sure what to make of mine. My top match (78 of 88 Novel, 26665 shared SNP) has taken the STR tests up to Y11, but he's relatively distant (GD4/Y37, GD10/Y111). TiP would suggest a better-than-average chance of a common male line 500+ years ago.

Does the Big-Y match result suggest a more recent line? I don't know.....

Comment

I am interested in seeing who shares a particular novel variant 8501059..8501059 because this is an indicator of my subclade. If you have it please write me for more Info.
              Anyway when the fist screen appears it gives me the names of those with whom I share novel variants. Next to their name is a number, indicating the number of shared variants I share with the person. If you click on that number it brings up another screen. This screen is suppose to be showing these shared variants. However my screen just shows a spinning wheel and hangs. Does anyone have this screen that works?

Comment

yah well

A quick look at one of the y-match results.

The number of shared novel variants is Oscar Meyer baloney. Cut out the known upstream ones that FTDNA did not annotate and the inconsistent ones and then this would be an accurate comparison.

I am seeing a no-call for PF2754 in the Coffman sample which triggers a listing difference where it is apparently present in the other "matches." Note that PF2754 is a funky INDEL in the 22.46M region. I need some long requested BAM files from FTDNA to see what the real call could be.

There is one non-matching named SNP that might be specific to the Benz line. This looks real. Yah!

There is another named non-matching known SNP that might be upstream and is being called out due to poor quality in the matching samples. Once again a look at all of the BAM files might provide a more meaningful comparison.

Wayne Kauffman

Comment

I am seeing a no-call for PF2754 in the Coffman sample which triggers a listing difference where it is apparently present in the other "matches." Note that PF2754 is a funky INDEL in the 22.46M .
                  Help please. How are you seeing what you wrote above?
                  I just can't tell if my screen is acting funky or if there is some other issue.
                  How do you access what you discuss above.?

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
                    I am interested in seeing who shares a particular novel variant 8501059..8501059 because this is an indicator of my subclade. If you have it please write me for more Info.
                    Anyway when the fist screen appears it gives me the names of those with whom I share novel variants. Next to their name is a number, indicating the number of shared variants I share with the person. If you click on that number it brings up another screen. This screen is suppose to be showing these shared variants. However my screen just shows a spinning wheel and hangs. Does anyone have this screen that works?
                    I do see the list of novel variants. I share 106 with a known 5th cousin and 101 with a 'known' (but not all the generations by name) 10th cousin. Then it drops to shared in the 50s. These all have one difference in known SNPs from me. My 5th cousin is different by one and everyone else by a different one. Need to look at that. There may be a shared novel 16258837 also.

I am often having the spinning wheel on other things and need to retry.

Comment

On the main screen I see a list of people with whom I share common variants. Next to that name is a number , which I believe is indicating the number of shared variants. When I click on the number a new screen appears , and it is this screen that hangs on me.Are other people seeing results there?

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
                        On the main screen I see a list of people with whom I share common variants. Next to that name is a number , which I believe is indicating the number of shared variants. When I click on the number a new screen appears , and it is this screen that hangs on me.Are other people seeing results there?
                        I am seeing the same thing. I have tried three different browsers and all three just hang with the spinning wheel. I reported this during the beta testing but it still isn't working apparently.

Gerald

Comment

I have over 140 'matches' that seem to run across a number of P312 subclades. One of my matches is Max Blankfeld!

I did see several of the testers I expected to see.

Earl.

Comment

My father has no matches showing!

Comment

Last night I was able to pull down the list of novel variants in common but today it hangs.

Comment

Working...
                              X