X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $100 rebate on Big-Y

...and $20 on Family Finder...

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt...le&h=fAQGp38RR

And those who have already taken the Big-Y test will get/have gotten an email with an extra $100 rebate coupon earmarked for Big-Y that they can give to me so I can make a Big-Y test to further explore my Q-M242...

Unfortunately, I received only one such coupon even though I ordered multiple Big Y tests.

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
      Unfortunately, I received only one such coupon even though I ordered multiple Big Y tests.
      Larry maybe if you are able to get another coupon you could donate it to one of the Q1b guys!

Sorry Tommy not sure if your Q-M242 is a Q1b. But if your soliciting....

I'm going to write to my brother's closest matches to see if they would be willing to pool money. And then which ever one of them wants to take it would be fine with me. Hopefully they will be interested.
      Last edited by Táltos; 9 June 2014, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Hi again, I got a coupon from another Big-Y Q Swede.

The "Q people" in Europe has sofar fit into two groups:
        Q-L53+ L804+
        Q-L527+ (L53-)

...but the typical STR markers for those two groups are nothing like what I have, so I may be a third group...
        We are trying to find a coupon for one person in the Nordic Q group that has Q-L53+ L804+, since none we know with that has done Big-Y. So if anyone has a coupon it's still interesting

Comment

BTW, my Q-M242 is very basic/high up, FTDNA reverted me to there from further down in the tree very recently, maybe because I don't really "fit" the markers.

Comment

Now our Q-L53+ L804+ also has a coupon...

And I saw that Roberta Estes published her code "for the taking" and that is said to have been used by an American Q-M3...

Comment

Tommy congrats on scoring a coupon! That is great other Q1a subclades are coming through with coupons.

So far one of my brother's matches has responded and is willing to pool. I haven't heard from anyone else yet. My fingers are crossed.

Anyone out there that has a coupon please consider donating it for a Q1b. Even if not for our crew, there are other interesting branches of Q1b, such as the Tatars. Would be great if one of them had a Big Y test too.

Comment

The email with my coupon suggested that I forward it to "friends and family members", so I would assume that it's a multi-use deal.

Comment

This test is still overpriced I'd rather save some money and wait for the real deal :
                  In January 2014, Illumina launched its HiSeq X Ten Sequencer which delivers the first $1,000 genome at 30x coverage, including reagent costs ($797), instrument depreciation ($137 per genome), and sample preparation ($55–$65 per genome) amortised over 18,000 genomes sequenced per year over a four-year operational period
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/$1,000_genome#Commercial_efforts

Comment

Originally posted by sjadelson View Post
                    The email with my coupon suggested that I forward it to "friends and family members", so I would assume that it's a multi-use deal.
                    My coupon specifically says at the bottom:
                    ---
                    Conditions: The Big Y coupon can be redeemed only 1 time. It cannot be combined with other Big Y coupons and expires on 6/17/2015.
                    ---

But I agree with you that the suggestion about "friends and family members" appears to contradict this. I suspect that the policy decision flipped at the last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Couscous Nomad View Post
                      This test is still overpriced I'd rather save some money and wait for the real deal :

Wow. If full genome sequencing is now possible for $1000, why don't FTDNA just start doing that instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Couscous Nomad View Post

Where are the success stories from the Big-Y? Three men in my group have taken the test and the new SNPs that wer found are not on the tree yet. It hasn't resolved their family history so someone give me a reason why I should pay for this test.

Comment

Originally posted by anzese View Post
                          Wow. If full genome sequencing is now possible for $1000, why don't FTDNA just start doing that instead?
                          One thing nearly all news reports got wrong about the latest Illumina machine is the actual cost of sequencing a person's genome.

That $1000 price is the wholesale cost, what some company would have to pay Illumina for the hardware and chemistry, assuming the machine was used 100% over its life.

A retail price, fully burdened, would be much more. Used to be you could get a full sequence at Illumina for around $5k, with data interpretation, but half that if you just wanted raw data. Now Illumina says to call them for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                            Where are the success stories from the Big-Y?
                            Big Y is successfully sorting out the history of R1a1a1, I2a-Dinaric, and N-L1025. The key is professional analysis. Some administrators have the skill to do this, but the simple solution is to pay $50 to YFull or FullGenomes for a professional analysis.
                            Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                            Three men in my group have taken the test and the new SNPs that wer found are not on the tree yet. It hasn't resolved their family history so someone give me a reason why I should pay for this test.
                            New SNPs are obviously not going to be on FTDNA's haplotree, which is always far behind the cutting edge. Have these three men submitted their BAM files to YFull or FullGenomes for analysis?

For three related men, analysis of the Big Y should produce not only a haplotree but the number of SNPs along each segment, by which one can estimate the passage of time. One SNP discovered by Big Y roughly equates to 150 years of history.

Comment

Big Y is successfully sorting out the history of R1a1a1, I2a-Dinaric, and N-L1025. The key is professional analysis. Some administrators have the skill to do this, but the simple solution is to pay $50 to YFull or FullGenomes for a professional analysis.

New SNPs are obviously not going to be on FTDNA's haplotree, which is always far behind the cutting edge. Have these three men submitted their BAM files to YFull or FullGenomes for analysis?

For three related men, analysis of the Big Y should produce not only a haplotree but the number of SNPs along each segment, by which one can estimate the passage of time. One SNP discovered by Big Y roughly equates to 150 years of history.
                              They have 113 new SNPs between the three of them.So that would be 37 x 150 = 5,550 for our branch which is Z156.
                              It is not right that a man has to pay so much for the test and then 50 dollars extra for someone to analyse their results. That should be done by FTDNA for free.

Comment

Working...
                              X