No announcement yet.

Big Y Questionnaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This survey is identical to a previous survey we offered for mtDNA. For mtDNA, we offered customers the ability to consent to have their data added to the GenBank database at NCBI. Many have chosen to contribute their sequences and many have not. Lots of data was contributed and lots of exciting research was published based on this data.

We are offering the exact same opportunity for BigY. GenBank does not accept Illumina data so we will be submitting to the SRA (short read archive) at NCBI instead. We are contributing the raw sequencing data only. No customer data, no interpretation, or any other secondary files.

The purpose, as many have noted on this thread, is simply to make the data available to all -- academic researchers, citizen scientists, anyone -- so that collectively folks can advance the field of Y chromosome research. While it is possible you or your project might benefit from research into the Y chromosome, you should certainly not expect any immediate or direct personal benefit from contributing your data. Beyond making data available, we at FTDNA plan to publish a peer-reviewed paper that explains the BigY test and characterizes it based on a subset of the data that is public. We are doing this for transparency so everyone know how we built the test and what the advantages and limitations of the test are. We also want to help others develop new tools and methods for analyzing Y chromosome sequence data.

We have not sent out an email or actively recruited participants, however some customers have asked how to make the data available. Right now, folks that send their data to YFull and other services are often consenting to have their data added to a private database. We therefore decided (like with mtDNA) to provide a means to publicly make available your sequence data.

If the consent is not clear or you are unsure about contributing your data, please contact us. Remember, it is best not to share your data unless you are confident that you want to do so -- once you share information it is obviously challenging to unshare it.

Apologies for the lengthy post!

Comment

I have lately gotten in the habit of checking named SNPs that come up on the U106 discussion against dbSNP. You can do this by first using Y-Browse to find the location of the SNP on the Y, and then using that to search one of the whole genome browsers; (I use UCSC because that's what I'm most familiar with.) If you display the "all SNPs" track you can see what SNPs have been identified in the region and click on the particular one you are interested in. Nearly every named SNP I have checked has been present in dbSNP (with an rs number.) This makes sense because they were nearly all first identified in scientific data sets which were the basis of the Geno 2 and Chromo 2 chips. Of course private SNPs from Big-Y will usually not be there, since they have not been seen before. SNPs that Full Genomes confirms when they analyze Big-Y data are given FGC numbers. I'm not sure whether FGC is entering their new SNPs in dbSNP or not.

Comment

Originally posted by dmittelman View Post
        We are offering the exact same opportunity for BigY. GenBank does not accept Illumina data so we will be submitting to the SRA (short read archive) at NCBI instead. We are contributing the raw sequencing data only.
        David, what would be involved in submitting some novel SNPs to dbSNP?

Comment

While I appreciate dmittelman's brief explanation of what the Big Y Survey was supposed to mean, the place for such explanations is in the "survey" itself. Until that happens, the "survey" still fails to explain what data is being released, to whom, and for what specific purposes. Many customers have noticed, also, that it is not a survey in the usual sense (an instrument to gather opinions), and the obvious discrepancy between the label and the apparent purpose of the instrument immediately raises people's suspicions that they are being misled.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
            David, what would be involved in submitting some novel SNPs to dbSNP?
            I believe that anyone can submit novel variants to dbSNP. We thought of releasing the raw data to give folks the most data to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
              While I appreciate dmittelman's brief explanation of what the Big Y Survey was supposed to mean, the place for such explanations is in the "survey" itself. Until that happens, the "survey" still fails to explain what data is being released, to whom, and for what specific purposes. Many customers have noticed, also, that it is not a survey in the usual sense (an instrument to gather opinions), and the obvious discrepancy between the label and the apparent purpose of the instrument immediately raises people's suspicions that they are being misled.
              I appreciate the feedback. We will work to see how we can clarify the survey.

Comment

How does one access this survey

I received my Big Y results with the first batch of results which came in. However, I have never received a survey (that I know of). I have checked my account several times.

I would be interested in having my results released to help others, but how do I access the survey??

Comment

Originally posted by Wing_Genealogis View Post
                  I received my Big Y results with the first batch of results which came in. However, I have never received a survey (that I know of). I have checked my account several times.

I would be interested in having my results released to help others, but how do I access the survey??
                  It should be right on the top of your my ftdna page

Big Y survey

Comment

Originally posted by dmittelman View Post
                    I appreciate the feedback. We will work to see how we can clarify the survey.
                    I completed it, and I don't have a problem with it per se, but I was surprised that it was called a "survey". Just call it what it is - a data release agreement.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by Snickering_Homin View Post
                      It should be right on the top of your my ftdna page

Big Y survey
                      Found it and completed.

Comment

Working...
                      X