Sub group members with different predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub group members with different predictions

I have a sub group where not only do the 5 men match each other closely at Y-37, apart from one of then they do not match any one else. The also have a common ancestor re paper trail to 1677.
    However, 3 are predicted as being R-U106 and the other 2 are M269 with a suggestion that they take the U-106.

None of the men's lower matches have taken an SNP so I wonder how they come up with the above.
    I know in the great scheme of things it is a minor query but I am interested in which test to order and the reason why.
    Many thanks.

Originally posted by Brewerton1949 View Post
    I have a sub group where not only do the 5 men match each other closely at Y-37, apart from one of then they do not match any one else. The also have a common ancestor re paper trail to 1677.
    However, 3 are predicted as being R-U106 and the other 2 are M269 with a suggestion that they take the U-106.

None of the men's lower matches have taken an SNP so I wonder how they come up with the above.
    I know in the great scheme of things it is a minor query but I am interested in which test to order and the reason why.
    Many thanks.
    M269 is a SNP above U106 and there is no need to test any of them for this marker yet.A 67 marker test might help you to choose which subgroup under U106 that they belong to.

Comment

Many thanks.

Comment

Many thanks.
        FTDNA makes its SNP predictions against its database of known M269 and U016 mens' STR markers.

For instance, DYS492=13 is a reasonably good predictor of U106 -- but it is not 100% reliable in that regard.

The traditional step-by-step path has been first test for M269 (if that's predicted) and if positive then test for U106 and/or P312.

Comment

Many thanks.
          If you get a 67 marker test and join ysearch.org I will try and help you to find the branch you belong to.

Comment

Many thanks to both of you. Unfortunately having just paid for the Big Y for my father I am not in a position to upgrade that subgroup at the moment. In fact I have a list and am hoping the next sale will have upgrades to Y-111 for another sub-group. I do not think the owners of the group will be interested in paying for an upgrade since I funded them in the first place.

Comment

Working...
            X