Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Y Tree?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Y Tree?

    I know it was said that a new Haplotree was coming, and FTDNA was working with the Genographic project on it. Is there any idea when it will be ready?

  • #2
    I honestly thing that any such effort with the Geno2
    project is SILLY in the extreme!

    It would be a joke, totally obsolete. "We" know perfectly well what the tree looks like, we being the group admins
    for the various haplogroups, from the BigY, in far greater
    detail than Geno2, which is of course a tiny tiny obsolete thing, could ever do.

    FTDNA could do the same, if they have the personpower
    and the time to automate it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Snickering_Homin View Post
      I know it was said that a new Haplotree was coming, and FTDNA was working with the Genographic project on it. Is there any idea when it will be ready?
      It is obvious that they are not able to.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
        I honestly thing that any such effort with the Geno2
        project is SILLY in the extreme!

        It would be a joke, totally obsolete. "We" know perfectly well what the tree looks like, we being the group admins
        for the various haplogroups, from the BigY, in far greater
        detail than Geno2, which is of course a tiny tiny obsolete thing, could ever do.

        FTDNA could do the same, if they have the personpower
        and the time to automate it.
        On the contrary the Genographic project travels the world collecting DNA samples. More then just those who order the Geno test. They probably have as much data to contribute as ftdna with the Big Y.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Snickering_Homin View Post
          On the contrary the Genographic project travels the world collecting DNA samples. More then just those who order the Geno test. They probably have as much data to contribute as ftdna with the Big Y.
          Oh they have the world samples! But they don't have
          the BigY size data on a proper selection of
          those samples .... or do they? If they in fact have the BigY data on even 2000 of those samples then they are doing what they should.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Snickering_Homin View Post
            On the contrary the Genographic project travels the world collecting DNA samples. More then just those who order the Geno test. They probably have as much data to contribute as ftdna with the Big Y.
            Actually Geno 2 has a lot less to contribute since it was built using known SNPs. Big Y identifies unknowns as well as the ones that could be present on 23andMe, Geno2, and Chromo2.

            Comment


            • #7
              When the Geno 2 chip was released most of the "known" SNPs on it had only previously been seen in a handful of research samples - mass testing enabled the most useful ones to be identified and placed on the Y tree. Big Y is another leap forward but the same process of filtering out the noise will be needed (with much larger datasets). The Geno 2 results are a very useful foundation with which to get started.

              Comment


              • #8
                [QUOTE]present on 23andMe, Geno2, and Chromo2./QUOTE]

                Im not sure the Chromo2 should be lumped in with the other two. It is much larger and actually found my new subclade ( by comparing with a FSG test results from another person). The BIG Y appears to find some of the side branches

                Comment


                • #9
                  [QUOTE=Brunetmj;381934]
                  present on 23andMe, Geno2, and Chromo2./QUOTE]

                  Im not sure the Chromo2 should be lumped in with the other two. It is much larger and actually found my new subclade ( by comparing with a FSG test results from another person). The BIG Y appears to find some of the side branches
                  Chromo2 is just an updated version of a SNP chip which is based upon identified SNPs. Even with the update due to technical issues with getting correct calls from the chip only 12K SNPs were viable out of the orignal umm 22K.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    FTDNA's Y-tree

                    The current FTDNA Y tree is now a real joke and worse than it being so out of date, it is costing new customers money testing for SNPs it lists which ultimately turn out negative for many. It is a waste of the customer's money, misleading and puts customers off further testing.

                    The Draft Y-tree that was underway when Dr. Krahn was at FTDNA was progressing well with adding new SNPs from WTY, Geno 2.0 and other studies. At least it had dozens more than than the mere five listed now for Haplogroup I-M223 (old I2b1).

                    Surely the tech heads at FTDNA could start updating the current tree with at least the key SNPs found prior to Geno 2.0. That would even be a big help.

                    As a Project co-administrator, I am constantly emailing new members after they order the (5) SNPs for FTDNA Y-tree without checking with us first what would be best. And there are no instructions or information on where to order other SNPs not on the Y-tree but available for testing. eg Advanced Tests instead of Advanced SNP Tests.

                    I shudder to think how long it will be before a new Y-tree is up and running given the number of SNPs around now and new ones being identified through Big Y, Chromo2 and Full Genomes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I just got a project admin email that the update will be on the 25th, DNA Day.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The question will be "How updated is the updated tree?"

                        The reason I ask this question is that there has been a ton of new SNPs found at FGC over the past year.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
                          The question will be "How updated is the updated tree?"
                          This is from the email.

                          "In addition to expanding the tree from 400 to 1000 terminal branches, the Haplotree page will have an updated, fresh design."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Judging by the countdown being at 28 hours? Midnight thursday?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                              It is obvious that they are not able to.
                              I hope that there are some new SNPs for me in this new version of the y-tree.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X