BAM file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAM file

Why are we not sent the BAM file with our results?
    I have asked for one but have no idea if the request has been seen. If it was sent as a matter of course then people could start investigating their results much more quickly.

Its because they are a gigabyte.

And most people don't want them.

Just be glad they are keeping the raw data!

Doug McDonald

Comment

BAM File - How Long to Download?

Hi

Has anyone successfully downloaded a BAM file? I got my link yesterday, but when I try to download, the connection is so slow it says it is going to take days!

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by sjordan14 View Post
        Hi

Has anyone successfully downloaded a BAM file? I got my link yesterday, but when I try to download, the connection is so slow it says it is going to take days!

Stuart
        My BAM file(1.1GB) download took about 3.5 hours. I have seen elsewhere that it suggested that you use a download manager so that if your internet connection gets reset it will start where it left off. It all depends on your internet connection. Hope this helps

Gerald

Comment

Hi,

Indeed. I would probably start the download at bedtime and see if it worked when I got up in the morning. If it got stopped, I would restart it at bedtime where it left off the next day.

I requested the USB purchase option in the update planning meeting. The lab team said that they had heard zero complaints about speed and download issues for BAM files, so the suggestion was voted down.

Originally posted by gerlyons View Post
          My BAM file(1.1GB) download took about 3.5 hours. I have seen elsewhere that it suggested that you use a download manager so that if your internet connection gets reset it will start where it left off. It all depends on your internet connection. Hope this helps

Gerald

Comment

Originally posted by sjordan14 View Post
            Hi

Stuart
            I received the link to my BAM file yesterday. Two attempts downloading using Chrome web browser after a couple of hours an error message appeared. This morning using IE 10 everything is looking good so far for the last 5 hours, downloaded 12% of 911MB.
            I should mention I have a high speed cable connection, I am able to download 1GB of HD video from You Tube in 10 minutes, so I doubt it's my end that is slowing the download.

Comment

I have been told that I do not have to download it to pass it to sites like YFull. Presuming this is correct then it would be helpful to receive it. Having spent so much money for this test it seems a pity that FTDNA do not yet have a tree that we can look at or, from what I am told, the explanation that YFull gives. I can't quite grasp why I should be grateful when I have paid for the product!

Comment

Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
                The lab team said that they had heard zero complaints about speed and download issues for BAM files, so the suggestion was voted down.
                Hardly anyone had gotten their BAM files until yesterday.

I tried the download, but it was absurd (predicted 2 days). As others have said, the only practical possibility is to use a download manager.

Luckily, YFull only needs the hyperlink, and presumably uses a download manager.

Comment

[message snipped]

I requested the USB purchase option in the update planning meeting. The lab team said that they had heard zero complaints about speed and download issues for BAM files, so the suggestion was voted down.
                  How do we give complaints to the "lab team". It should be obvious that any download which takes several hours to complete (mine took just about 14 hours) is not a good solution to anyone

Comment

Hi,
                    1. E-mail [email protected].
                    2. Put Attention Michelle and BAM File Feedback in the subject line.

Just remember to be kind to Michelle. She is the simply the person in charge of organizing and passing on messages.

Originally posted by Wing_Genealogis View Post
                    How do we give complaints to the "lab team". It should be obvious that any download which takes several hours to complete (mine took just about 14 hours) is not a good solution to anyone

Comment

Hi,

Indeed. I would probably start the download at bedtime and see if it worked when I got up in the morning. If it got stopped, I would restart it at bedtime where it left off the next day.

You might want to put in another request. The issue with download speeds will only continue to get worse as more and more people attempt to download those large files.

Comment

Thanks, Rebeckah. Email sent.

Comment

Hi,

I started the download at 9 am - which makes it 2am Houston - "remaining time to download three days". In fact it downloaded only 28MB after 3 hours and got stuck.

Then I restarted again after few hours - then it stuck at 38MB - after 4 hours stable download.

I vote with two hands for DVD or USB. Obviously download does not work for Europeans.

Just got an idea -ha-ha-ha. The corporate Internet server gives us an exit in USA, France and Germany, the first one _ USA- the choice number 1 (due to the 7 hours difference). So I will have to get to the office and start the download!!!
                          Last edited by Pillar_of_fire; 5th April 2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I've tried 2 times now to download bam...after 18 hours I got to 21% and got error message...attempts to resume download were unsuccessful.

2nd attempt I never got past 0%.

Comment

I've just tried twice and it aborted both times even with a download manager, got to about 25Mb only. The zip file was corrupt and wouldn't even open. I've had no problems downloading massive FGC BAM files from both Google drive or AWS which I would have thought a much better place to put them?

Comment

Working...
                              X