Question re Z2113

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re Z2113

My fathers Big Y are in. Yeah!! However, I had already tested him for L51 and knew that was his terminal SNP. It seems £300 later it still is.
    I also run a project. One of the chaps who matches my father at Y-67 by 3 steps did a Z2113 SNP test. This does not show on the FTDNA tree but they test for it.
    My father does not show Z2113 on his Big Y. Is there any way of finding out if this is one that they test for the Big Y? Many thanks.

Hi Big Y is a sequence test not a chip based test.

Chip based tests like Geno2 test for known SNP's.

Tests like BigY sequence your DNA and find lots of new 'novel' SNP's as well as many known ones. The nature of the technology is that coverage varies so what one persons test might read is not the same as the next person. This is not a fault with the product it's how this technology works.

If you don't show as negative for that SNP in you results you can check your raw data but some skill is needed. Your project admin may be able to help.

From your raw data you should be able to establish if the position of that SNP was read, if it gave a positive or negative result or if it was a no call.

Earl.

Comment

Many thanks Earl. I am the project administrator! Off to see if I can understand the raw data.

Comment

Are you in a Haplogroup project? Are you the Admin for it?

Comment

Did you look for it by chromosome position, not just name?
          Did you cross-check the coverage (.bed) file to see if the range was covered?

Comment

Originally posted by Brewerton1949 View Post
            My father does not show Z2113 on his Big Y.
            An L51 member of my project recently received his Big Y results. On the Known SNPs tab, I enter Z2113 into the SNP Name box. Then, in the dropdown box for Derived? , I select Show All. I then get this result:

Z2113 ? No G ? Unknown

In other words, Z2113 was examined but the result is a no-call (ambiguous).

Comment

Many thanks for all replies. I am an administrator of a name project. I have joined my father to 3 Haplogroups the latest being R1b-L11 since he is L51*.
              This is all brand new and the language is also new. I have asked for the BAM file and when/if it arrives and if I can download it I will send it to Y Full and to www.FullGenomes.com as recommended by Tim on the face book page of FTDNA.
              Will now have a close look at all your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by ikennedy View Post
                Did you look for it by chromosome position, not just name?
                Did you cross-check the coverage (.bed) file to see if the range was covered?
                I have no idea how to look for it by chromosome position. It does not appear on the FTDNA tree. I have in the past seen it on a tree given to me by someone and it comes under L51*
                I also fail in cross-checking the bed file.
                Will go to bed and hopefully will be more successful tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                X