No announcement yet.

Well, so much for that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For any else looking for more immediate analysis of results Roberta Estes has provided an overview of of very own Felixs' Chrome extension that can help you get more from your results.

http://dna-explained.com/2014/04/02/...ome-extension/

Comment

I was just looking at this, it's very slick!

It accurately found our group (R1a-L1029), but in addition to that the Morley DNA page listed a whole slew of SNPs that were not accounted for in that designation. Over 300 of them from the looks of it.

Is there any place that might provide more information about the SNPs on that "unaccounted for" list?

(Still waiting for the BAM file download)

Comment

I think I'm going to have to leave work early if my results come in. No idea what I'll be looking at but I want to look at it.

Comment

I have no idea what I'm looking at but at least it's interesting trying to figure it out. LOL

Comment

This thread raises a question that I think is important. Is there yet any sort of "clearing house" for the SNP's that were reported as unassigned, novel, etc.? Seems to me it would be helpful if we had some sort of utility that would flag the unassigned SNP's that are already being investigated (and by whom?). Perhaps accessed as an extension of Felix's Chrome utility? Such a "clearing house" needs to include everything, including SNP's currently considered "private", indels, etc. Does such a knowledge base exist, and if so, is it in a form that would allow easy comparison with the "unassigned" lists from our Big Y results?

Comment

I'm glad that my question was clear enough to understand. There is so much about this that is above my head, and when I ask a question I always hope I'm making some sense. 8-)

Glad to see I asked a good one.

Comment

Y-Merge

Hi,

I know that Felix has been working on a Y-Merge tool.
                http://www.y-str.org/2014/04/merge-y.html
                I am sure he would appreciate feedback on how it works and what else the community would like to see.

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
                This thread raises a question that I think is important. Is there yet any sort of "clearing house" for the SNP's that were reported as unassigned, novel, etc.? Seems to me it would be helpful if we had some sort of utility that would flag the unassigned SNP's that are already being investigated (and by whom?). Perhaps accessed as an extension of Felix's Chrome utility? Such a "clearing house" needs to include everything, including SNP's currently considered "private", indels, etc. Does such a knowledge base exist, and if so, is it in a form that would allow easy comparison with the "unassigned" lists from our Big Y results?

Comment

Originally posted by J Honeychuck View Post
                  Is there nothing the individual can do with these results? I just want to know how close I am (in generations) to other cases on the ISOGG and FTDNA trees. Is there any way to do that?
                  You can do that if you have multiple Big Y results (from the same clade) with which to compare. But even then, you may encounter one major handicap:

For the Known SNPs, you can distinguish between derived, ancestral, and no-call. But for Novel Variants, you cannot distinguish between ancestral vs. no-call except via the BAM file.

For a very limited time, Full Genomes is also (like YFull) interpreting BAM files at no charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
                    Hi,

I know that Felix has been working on a Y-Merge tool.
                    http://www.y-str.org/2014/04/merge-y.html
                    I am sure he would appreciate feedback on how it works and what else the community would like to see.
                    Thanks! I have results from all three (Big Y, Geno 2, 23 and me), so I'll give it a spin.

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post

For a very limited time, Full Genomes is also (like YFull) interpreting BAM files at no charge.
                      No doubt the help desk is swamped with requests .. but what is the usual wait time after sending an email to the helpdesk to receive a link to DL the BAM file?

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Davis View Post
                        Of course the rate at which new SNP's occur will come under heavy debate as BIgY results continue to be analysed and new people test so I am in no way saying that 3 will ultimately be correct figure but it seems to be what several people are currently thinking.
                        The best estimate I've seen recently is that the Big Y finds one reliable SNP per 165 years of history. Keep in mind that:
                        - The Big Y is not as complete (or as expensive) as FGC's test
                        - Some SNPs are too "flippy" to be of much practical value.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Davis View Post
                          For any else looking for more immediate analysis of results Roberta Estes has provided an overview of of very own Felixs' Chrome extension that can help you get more from your results.

http://dna-explained.com/2014/04/02/...ome-extension/
                          Unfortunately, that tool only works for the customer himself, not for project administrators. It did work for administrators at one time, but no longer.

Comment

But what's the current estimate of ALL the snps
                            found by BigY? (in years)?

What's the estimate for new, real, indels?

For the SNPs I'm finding it looks a lot more like 100
                            or 120 years. But that may include unreliable ones.
                            It does not include the ones FTDNA marks fail.

Doug McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by DeeTyler View Post
                              I was just looking at this, it's very slick!

It accurately found our group (R1a-L1029), but in addition to that the Morley DNA page listed a whole slew of SNPs that were not accounted for in that designation. Over 300 of them from the looks of it.

Is there any place that might provide more information about the SNPs on that "unaccounted for" list?

(Still waiting for the BAM file download)
                              Submit your BAM file to YFull, my fellow L1029 member! You will get plenty of further analysis. Also, please give permission to Łukasz Łapiński ([email protected]) , Group Administrator at the R1a Project, to share your SNPs for the sake of comparison. If you need a contact for YFull, PM me and I will provide it to you.

Comment

Thank you muso, I have been in frequent contact with Larry Mayka, who is also part of the R1a project (we're already there). He's got me covered and he has more than my blessings to use it to further the project knowledge. That was the main reason I ordered it. 8-)

I also received a notice from FTDNA to acknowledge the request for the BAM file but it might take up to a couple of weeks. I am planning to upload it to YFull as soon as I get it!

EDIT ... is Lukasz in the forums at Molgen? I was pointed to a thread there and signed up so that I could post, but this is the third time I've tried, and I seem not to get the emails to confirm my email address. If that's the case, then perhaps I can just email Lukasz directly and have him share some of our results. I did notice that we are already included on some of the R1a diagrams but now some of those "unknowns" relating to us are known and we can fill out that tree a little more. ;-)
                                Last edited by DeeTyler; 3 April 2014, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X