Norman Ancestry SNP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavdJ View Post
    If it helps any, the SRY2627 was formed in the region of Southern France. With this in mind, it currently looks like my ancestors were in the region before the Normans. In fact, according to historical sources, the Joyce surname was based on a Breton Saint. Is there perhaps a SNP which is based on not on viking DNA per say but perhaps on Breton DNA?

thanks again,

David
    I think that's where the Big Y comes in, not sure if anyone knows how many Big Y orders were from Brittany men though. Stats for Big Y by country/region anyone?

If some Bretons with SRY2627 took the test, then it should surely be possible to get down to the time of the conquest chronologically. Although having said that I'm not sure how common SRY2627 is in Brittany, I'm more interested/knowledgeable more about the higher up stuff(DF27)as I'm L617.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Davis View Post
      Hi David.

At this stage it's not really possible however that situation will slowly change for some people. A number of SRY2627 people have taken the BIgY and their results are still coming through. In a few months time when the results are better analysed there should be an explosion in understanding of SRY2627 and potentially hundreds of new sub branches discovered. In some cases those results might mean the older subclades from 2, 3 and 4 thousand years ago can be worked down to the time of the conquest and even into the last few hundred years. This process will take time and with luck it may be possible in the immediate future to start to attribute certain recent SNP's to actual individuals in family trees.

If your STR markers are close to fellow SRY2627 people who have taken BigY you might get lucky and get a new SNP's to test. What we don't know yet is how recently in time FTDNA and others will want to produce individual SNP tests for it may not be cost effective for them to develop tests for say SNP's that were 'born' in the last 1,000 years.

Earl.
      SRY2627 is supposed to be a 4000 year old SNP. How does one connect it to the Normans?

http://www.semargl.me/en/dna/ydna/map-snp/162/
      Last edited by 1798; 1 April 2014, 08:59 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
        SRY2627 is supposed to be a 4000 year old SNP. How does one connect it to the Normans?

Some of them were Breton, but I don't see much SRY2627 in Brittany anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post

You can't.

I only mentioned SRY2627 as the original poster mentioned he had tested positive for it and was looking for downstream SNP's to test.

Earl.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Davis View Post
            You can't.

I only mentioned SRY2627 as the original poster mentioned he had tested positive for it and was looking for downstream SNP's to test.

Earl.
            Well if a British aristocratic male was SRY2627 and positive for SNPS below that then in theory that would be a connection but that doesn't eliminate NPA's over the following 1000 years since the conquest, only ancient DNA could do that.

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
              Terminology: Norse vs. Norman. Norse went to Ireland and some to Wales and etc. Normans were a blend of Norse, Danes, and the local Gallo-Romans and Carolingians, etc. Normans went to Wales and Ireland after the conquest in 1066. Well, that's the way it looks to me, superficially.
              I agree with this one.. my mother's line is Faunt(Fant) which was L'enfant in 1218 when we find them in Shropshire and after 1250 in Ireland where Walter L'Enfant was one of the Kings Justiciars as was his brothers, Adam and John, also knights. In Limerick and Kildare hundreds of years. My great GF born in Limerick and came to NJ in 1869.

"We" ( my first cousins and GF) are I21a1 Sardinian which has been found in both Neolithic and Mesolithic( 12/2103) burials. Currently we are testing PF4088. Seem to have been located in the midi Pyrenees(Carolingians)..No Norse for us..they sold their swords at an earlier time..

Wondering how many Normans ARE R1b? A LOT are I2a..

Comment

Good question indeed! How does one link sry26277 to Norman England? I hope this site helps: Www.jowsey.com

It tells about the origins of the recorded joyce roots.

Comment

hmm I think I may have found something. As you know, my Haplogroup is sry2627, however, my ancestral origins and halpogroup origins says Ireland -2, and -3 Scotland. If SRY2627 came from southern France, why does it say Ireland and Scotland?

thanks much,

David

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
                    Terminology: Norse vs. Norman. Norse went to Ireland and some to Wales and etc. Normans were a blend of Norse, Danes, and the local Gallo-Romans and Carolingians, etc. Normans went to Wales and Ireland after the conquest in 1066. Well, that's the way it looks to me, superficially.
                    I am a R1a (L-664--subset B*) with Irish roots that has been shown to be most likely of Norse origin but still to be determined is whether my ancestors moved across England to Ireland early on or later with the Normans.

Comment

Originally posted by Neal View Post
                      I am a R1a (L-664--subset B*) with Irish roots that has been shown to be most likely of Norse origin but still to be determined is whether my ancestors moved across England to Ireland early on or later with the Normans.
                      Your ancestors could have arrived in Ireland before 1200 ybp.
                      What is the estimated age for L-664?

Comment

Hmm is it possible that I have the wrong haplogroup?

Comment

Working...
                        X