Big Y - YFull - Y-Chr Sequence Interpretation Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Y - YFull - Y-Chr Sequence Interpretation Service

I got my results from YFull after sending my .BAM results to them. Thought of sharing others what I received.

Big Y - YFull - Y-Chr Sequence Interpretation Service

Just to clarify:

1) YFull does not currently charge for its service to "researchers" (i.e., to anyone who is willing to let their results become anonymously public).

2) YFull is not a competitor of FTDNA but rather more like an academic partner: Its work helps FTDNA construct a new, more elaborate haplotree from Big Y results.

Comment

I submitted my BAM file to YFull. What a great compliment to the BigY results. I highly recommend this service to all who have tested with BigY.

Comment

Just requested my BAM file. How long did you all have to wait before available from FTDNA?

Also, how were you notified that they were ready?

Comment

Originally posted by MitchellSince1893 View Post
          Just requested my BAM file. How long did you all have to wait before available from FTDNA?

Also, how were you notified that they were ready?
          Requested: Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:30 PM AEST
          Received: Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:09 AM AEST

Roughly 2 weeks. You will receive an email with the link to the .bam file from FTDNA helpdesk.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Felix, in your blog you write:

Big Y currently costs US$ 695 and includes most of mtDNA, 400+ Y-STR and 50000 Y-SNPs. If we split the costs, full mtDNA US$ 199, 111 Y-STR US$ 359 and only individual Y-SNP tests are provided on request which is extremely costly, like US$ 39 per SNP. Hence, confirming just 5 individual SNPs and doing the other available tests will easily exceed the cost of Big Y.
              Isn't it so that your .BAM-file include your mtDNA because you already have tested mtDNA with FTDNA? Or is Big-Y really testing mtDNA? I havn't read any information about it anywhere, and doubt that is the case.

For someone who have not tested mtDNA, the .BAM file will not include mtDNA results right? That will make your cost calculation a bit off if that is the case. I am not sure about this, but I think that makes most sense.

Where can I read more about Big-Y includes the 111 Y-STR and mtDNA?

Comment

Originally posted by PeterLarsen View Post
                Felix, in your blog you write:

Isn't it so that your .BAM-file include your mtDNA because you already have tested mtDNA with FTDNA? Or is Big-Y really testing mtDNA? I havn't read any information about it anywhere, and doubt that is the case.

For someone who have not tested mtDNA, the .BAM file will not include mtDNA results right? That will make your cost calculation a bit off if that is the case. I am not sure about this, but I think that makes most sense.

Where can I read more about Big-Y includes the 111 Y-STR and mtDNA?
                I haven't supplied any mtDNA information to YFull team. All I supplied was my .BAM file and they were able to extract my mtDNA information from .BAM. The mtDNA test with FTDNA was part of comprehensive genome test and included all of 16569 bp but the Big Y .BAM contains almost all of it (but not all). The .BAM has 35 no-calls, thus was able to cover 99.79% of mtDNA 16534 bp. This is more than enough to place accurately in the mtDNA haplogroup U9a1. Hence, the Big Y .BAM does contain mtDNA.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post
                  I haven't supplied any mtDNA information to YFull team. All I supplied was my .BAM file and they were able to extract my mtDNA information from .BAM. The mtDNA test with FTDNA was part of comprehensive genome test and included all of 16569 bp but the Big Y .BAM contains almost all of it (but not all). The .BAM has 35 no-calls, thus was able to cover 99.79% of mtDNA 16534 bp. This is more than enough to place accurately in the mtDNA haplogroup U9a1. Hence, the Big Y .BAM does contain mtDNA.

Yes, I understand that part. But can anyone confirm that the .BAM-file is only containing results from the Big-Y test, and does not include results from other tests?

Comment

Yes, I understand that part. But can anyone confirm that the .BAM-file is only containing results from the Big-Y test, and does not include results from other tests?
                    You wouldn't see stats about depth coverage if the BAM file simply incorporated the results of a full mitochondrial sequence test done with Sanger sequencing.

Comment

I understand that the Big-Y data may contain mtDNA data but if the case is so much mtDNA data, then FTDNA should inform customers requesting their .BAM-files about it.

I believe people share their .BAM-files without knowing their mtDNA-data is in there (no matter if the data comes from mtDNA tests or from the Big-Y test).

As I have not ordered Big-Y and therefor not requested my .BAM-file I have no clue what information comes along the .BAM-file.

Can anyone share what information FTDNA gives you when requesting and give you your .BAM-file?

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
                        You wouldn't see stats about depth coverage if the BAM file simply incorporated the results of a full mitochondrial sequence test done with Sanger sequencing.
                        Okay, that makes sense, thanks!

Well, hopefully everyone who shares their .BAM-files is aware of the fact that it contains all that information, I am too surpriced by the fact it does.
                        Last edited by PeterLarsen; 29 March 2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Can anyone share what information FTDNA gives you when requesting and give you your .BAM-file?
                          FTDNA provides a link to .BAM. My Big Y .BAM file can be downloaded from my Google Drive if you want to have a look at it (it's around 1 GB).
                          Last edited by felix; 29 March 2014, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Please be aware that your BAM file is highly personal genomic data. It is Y-Chromosome, a smidgen of autosomal, and enough mtDNA to make a good guess at your deep clade.

Mind you, it is not the 200X NextGen mtDNA sequencing we do for our mtDNA product.

However, it is enough information that someone could make a really good educated guess at the file belonging to you or your brother. Do you remember when 23andMe first launched and we all figured out who their example profiles really were within days?

I understand that the Big-Y data may contain mtDNA data but if the case is so much mtDNA data, then FTDNA should inform customers requesting their .BAM-files about it.

I believe people share their .BAM-files without knowing their mtDNA-data is in there (no matter if the data comes from mtDNA tests or from the Big-Y test).

As I have not ordered Big-Y and therefor not requested my .BAM-file I have no clue what information comes along the .BAM-file.

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post
                              FTDNA provides a link to .BAM. My Big Y .BAM file can be downloaded from my Google Drive if you want to have a look at it (it's around 1 GB).
                              Thanks, I will have a look at it!

This information really put Big-Y in another dimension, I guess it is not guarenteed the coverage of STRs and mtDNA will be exactly at your rate, but the overall use of the Big-Y results match its price better knowing this, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X