Big Y AddOn for Google Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Y AddOn for Google Chrome

Big Y AddOn is a chrome browser extension that adds additional functionality to Family Tree DNA's Big Y results and plots the results on up-to-date Y-DNA Trees.

The extension adds a number of features to BigY Results
    • Download results as Y-DNA markers
    • Download the Table as CSV - (Comma Separated File which can be opened in Excel)
    • Auto-Populates SNPs into MorleyDNA Y-Tree for easy analysis.
    • Highlights Positive and Negative SNPs in ISOGG Y-Tree.

Extension Page: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...doediffhcdfdmj
    Source code and project page: http://www.y-str.org/tools/big-y-addon/

Comment and suggestions welcome.

That sounds intriguing, but I don't see the Chrome extension. I am logging in to a member's Big Y results as a group administrator. Would that make a difference in activating your add-on?

Comment

The extension adds tabs/links above the table on the Big-Y results page. The tabs are 'ISOGG Haplotree', 'MorleyDNA Haplotree', 'Download Table', 'Download Markers', and 'FTDNA Haplotree'.
      Last edited by gerlyons; 12 March 2014, 04:16 PM. Reason: better define tabs

Comment

Originally posted by gerlyons View Post
        The extension adds tabs/links above the table on the Big-Y results page. The tabs are 'ISOGG Haplotree', 'MorleyDNA Haplotree', 'Download Table', 'Download Markers', and 'FTDNA Haplotree'.
        Right, that's what I expected to see, based on the screen captures on Felix's site. I was logging in to the person's account from the GAP page. Could that be the difference? If I try to add the app again, Chrome says it's been added.
        Last edited by Ann Turner; 12 March 2014, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Felix,

You may need to access your BIG Y results through your U2 project in order to trouble shoot the issues with GAP impersonation. Best of luck!
          Originally posted by felix View Post
          Big Y AddOn is a chrome browser extension that adds additional functionality to Family Tree DNA's Big Y results and plots the results on up-to-date Y-DNA Trees.
          Comment and suggestions welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
            That sounds intriguing, but I don't see the Chrome extension.
            Same here. It apparently doesn't work for project administrators.

Comment

The issue with GAP is fixed.

To clear the data stored by the extension, use the Reset button on the BigY results page (the same button used to reset filters in the results table). This is helpful for Group Administrator to clear and load another kit's BigY data in the extension.

To populate ytree.morleydna.com and plot isogg.org/tree, it is not always required to login into BigY results page and click the links from there. It is only required for the first time to login and click any of the added links from BigY results page, after which the extension will cache the results internally. Once cached, everytime the the website (ytree.morleydna.com) is visited, it automatically populates with BigY data and everytime (isogg.org/tree) is visited, it automatically marks the SNPs for which you are positive or negative on BigY results.

The markers download consists only of High and Medium confidence, and no-calls are ignored. However the table download contains everything as a comma separated file.

Comment

Thanks for the quick update, Felix.

Next question -- it looks like the Novel Variants tab doesn't load any results when the extension is active. A simple download of the fields on that page would also be appreciated.

Comment

Thanks.

Felix. I can't look at this yet as no BigY results in at this point but thanks all the same for doing this for the testing community.

Earl.

Comment

Work in progress

The ability to see your results on ISOGG, Morley's experimental tree & FTDNA is a great tool. However, there still appears to be much more work to be done to refine the haplogroup predictions. For now, folks should still rely on the haplogroup projects as most of them have the expertise to tease out the proper placement for folks.

I understand how this is still very much a work in progress and look forward to further improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
                      Thanks for the quick update, Felix.

Next question -- it looks like the Novel Variants tab doesn't load any results when the extension is active. A simple download of the fields on that page would also be appreciated.
                      Hi Ann Turner,

The Novel Variants tab which doesn't load is now fixed . I also added a Novel Variants download link.

Comment

Felix
                        Nice chrome add on tool!

I just used it on a BIG-Y as GAP

Felix wrote "The markers download consists only of High and Medium confidence, and no-calls are ignored. However the table download contains everything as a comma separated file. "

I tried several times and I always get just the Novel
                        High confidence SNPs and not the Medium ones
                        Is there something I need to do different

I tried reset set Novel to Show All and down load Novel

Comment

Originally posted by JSW View Post
                          Felix
                          Nice chrome add on tool!

I just used it on a BIG-Y as GAP

Felix wrote "The markers download consists only of High and Medium confidence, and no-calls are ignored. However the table download contains everything as a comma separated file. "

I tried several times and I always get just the Novel
                          High confidence SNPs and not the Medium ones
                          Is there something I need to do different

I tried reset set Novel to Show All and down load Novel
                          JSW, its a minor bug and I fixed it now.

Comment

Just came back to post that I moved the ISOGG tree plotting functionality from Big-Y AddOn as a separate independent AddOn, with ability to enter SNPs manually. I believe this helps people who have Y-SNPs to plot, instead of just Big-Y. The rest of the Big-Y AddOn remains the same.

Link: ISOGG Y-Tree AddOn

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post
                              Just came back to post that I moved the ISOGG tree plotting functionality from Big-Y AddOn as a separate independent AddOn, with ability to enter SNPs manually. I believe this helps people who have Y-SNPs to plot, instead of just Big-Y. The rest of the Big-Y AddOn remains the same.

Link: ISOGG Y-Tree AddOn
                              The issue I personally see with this change is the fact it is now much more problematic for folks to check for all of their SNPs.

The old version automatically transferred all of the SNPs. The new version requires folks to hand-enter them all in. The only other easy option I see is to transfer the SNP results from the project SNP page, but this page only includes the SNPs in FTDNA's extremely outdated Haplotree for Big Y results.

Comment

Working...
                              X