OFFICIAL BIG Y UPDATE (7 March 2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFFICIAL BIG Y UPDATE (7 March 2014)

I just finished with the morning brief on BIG Y roll out. We have been releasing results throughout the week and will release more today.

So far result delivery targets are on track, with one qualification. There are some cases where the existing DNA sample did not pass quality assurance on the first try. In these cases, we have been shipping a new collection kit immediately to the mailing address on file. In the week* following the 15th, we will update everyone again on overall progress. We will also contact those who have been sent a new test kit if it has not already been returned.

*FTDNA weeks start on Sunday.

Unofficial Opinion of Rebekah the Skeptical Project Admin

I am feeling warm and fuzzy about progress after the meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
      We have been releasing results throughout the week and will release more today.
      I am a co-admin of two very large projects with well over 100 Big Y orders total, and I myself have not seen a single new Big Y result since February 27.

Perhaps the new results have been targeted for specific haplogroups?

Comment

Thank you for the update, Rebekah.

Comment

Another glitch with new results

Several new Big Y results have recently been reported in the R1b-U106 Project.

However, when I tried to access their results, I get a blank screen saying the table is empty, and unable to download results.

I did go back and checked the results released earlier, and they are working fine.

Looks like another long night for the techs at Houston.

Comment

Dribbling In

Hi,

If they are uploading right now, it might be a bit. I will post here when all is done for the day. :-) This is a process we are considering calling dribbling in in Honor of A.J. Marsh. ;-)

Originally posted by Wing_Genealogis View Post
            Several new Big Y results have recently been reported in the R1b-U106 Project.

However, when I tried to access their results, I get a blank screen saying the table is empty, and unable to download results.

I did go back and checked the results released earlier, and they are working fine.

Looks like another long night for the techs at Houston.

Comment

Results MIA

I'm quite frustrated that so many results from other batches are being released before batch 542.... Yes I am aware of the things that might cause a delay, but...

I really wish there were a way that I could find out why my results are not yet released. I'm trying to be patient, but after waiting through delay after delay without any personal feedback from FTDNA my patience is about exhausted.

If a new kit is coming my way, then please tell me. I'd like to know, as I suspect do many others...

Comment

I hope the people who have failed 'quality assurance' have been informed and they don't just receive a new kit! Very bad customer service if this is the case

I just finished with the morning brief on BIG Y roll out. We have been releasing results throughout the week and will release more today.

So far result delivery targets are on track, with one qualification. There are some cases where the existing DNA sample did not pass quality assurance on the first try. In these cases, we have been shipping a new collection kit immediately to the mailing address on file. In the week* following the 15th, we will update everyone again on overall progress. We will also contact those who have been sent a new test kit if it has not already been returned.

*FTDNA weeks start on Sunday.

Comment

Two F words: "Frustrated" and "Fiasco"

The title says it all. I have tried to be patient and not
                  complain here, but that time has passed.

When neither my results (ordered Nov. 11) nor the four
                  that preceded me in the Clan Donald project (ordered Nov.
                  9 and 10) nor any of our critical CTS4179 results are
                  reported, but one from Batch 546 (!!!!) and one from batch
                  543 did show up yesterday, its time to complain. They
                  can't blame it in my case as lack of sample, since I know
                  I have not been asked for another one. I find it absolutely
                  impossible that none of the 50 odd people who preceded
                  the Batch 546 one had unusable samples.

I have not used the "L" word, but it recurs prominently
                  in my dreams. Something seriously fishy is going on.

If that fishiness is due to lack of promised coverage,
                  can they combine multiple fastq files to get better
                  results (i.e. near doubled coverage) in the bam files?
                  If we wait longer for reruns we should deserve the doubled bam ones.

What is promised for next week? Batch 547? or batch 542?

Doug McDonald
                  Clan Donald USA project co-admin

Comment

Hi Doug,

You are right. That stinks. It could be that some of your pending kits were run but failed QA. It could be that some failed the QC sample check and we went to a stored vial. The extraction process would have put those kits behind.

It could also be though that the current lab software system does not pull samples as predictably as I and management have thought. That is, it is a HAL 9000 issue. Hmmmm

Originally posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
                    When neither my results (ordered Nov. 11) nor the four
                    that preceded me in the Clan Donald project (ordered Nov.
                    9 and 10) nor any of our critical CTS4179 results are
                    reported, but one from Batch 546 (!!!!) and one from batch
                    543 did show up yesterday, its time to complain. They
                    can't blame it in my case as lack of sample, since I know
                    I have not been asked for another one. I find it absolutely
                    impossible that none of the 50 odd people who preceded
                    the Batch 546 one had unusable samples.
                    Doug McDonald
                    Clan Donald USA project co-admin

Comment

Hi Doug,

You are right. That stinks. It could be that some of your pending kits were run but failed QA. It could be that some failed the QC sample check and we went to a stored vial. The extraction process would have put those kits behind.

It could also be though that the current lab software system does not pull samples as predictably as I and management have thought. That is, it is a HAL 9000 issue. Hmmmm
                      Rebekah Canada,

So if I understand everything that is going on with the release of Big Y results, is that it all boils down to a software issue with Hal 9000, which is unfortunately outside of FTDNA's control. Fantastic to see that FTDNA is holding itself accountable and responsible for issues pertaining the release of Big Y Test results.

Peter MacDonald

Comment

No, its NOT a "HAL 9000" issue. Its a top management issue,
                        as in the CEO says "check manually to see if all the
                        batch 542 BigY samples have been run". After all, a top
                        manager did say "in order".

Doug McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
                          ...I have tried to be patient and not complain here, but that time has passed... Doug McDonald
                          I agree! If FTDNA is sincere about improving customer communications, then I can't think of a better way than to simply tell us why our personal Big Y test results (via a home page message) haven't yet been released - starting with un-posted batch 542 orders.

Again, I understand the generic reasons that can result in a delay. However, at this point I'd like to know why my 11/11/13 (batch 542) order test results are being delayed. I'm not asking to reinvent the testing & QA process, but I can't help believing that information is not readily available, and its release would be immensely beneficial in satisfying customers.

Given FTNDA's longevity in this market, they should have anticipated there would be results delays, which would have necessitated some type of individual customer feedback to explain the situation; and, without that process being in place customers would react negatively and with ire. Leaving Rebekah out on a limb...

Comment

Same issue , Kit E11622 ordered 11/11/13, batch 542.

Comment

I'd really like to have this test, but it is awfully expensive for me. So I don't want to see bugs in the program. I'll wait awhile.

Comment

Working...
                              X