No announcement yet.

First Batch of BIG Y Test Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are two websites where there has been a fair amount of discussion about the Big Y test, and I assume there will be even more, once the results come in and people have their y-dna analyzed: http://eng.molgen.org/, http://www.anthrogenica.com/forum.php. If you search the sites (Use BigY to search) you will find the discussions.

Comment

Hello,

I would say that we will have more informative discussions here. :-D

Originally posted by muso View Post
      There are two websites where there has been a fair amount of discussion about the Big Y test, and I assume there will be even more, once the results come in and people have their y-dna analyzed: http://eng.molgen.org/, http://www.anthrogenica.com/forum.php. If you search the sites (Use BigY to search) you will find the discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
        Hello,

Perhaps. I do hope so. I was responding to a forum member's question regarding alternative sites. Maybe I am not as knowledgeable as I should be regarding the results FTDNA will provide for the BigY test, even though I am one of many who are awaiting the results. As I understand it, the key to this test is the ability of those who share the same subclade to compare, with the hope of finding like SNPs, and thus possibly a new branch ( or at least some commonality beyond what a 111 marker test can provide). Will such results be accessible in the public forum, or will it require those of us with results to share? If the latter, will said results be self-explanatory for the amateur, or will it require analysis from a 3rd party?

Comment

I was just discovered to belong to a new subclade , two weeks ago, under L21. I will be very interested to see if the Big Y will pick it up. I will also be curious as to wether the web site can handle the traffic of users' on Friday.

Comment

I will be here. It will be most interesting and exciting. As I mentioned, the results will be here, and I appreciate FTDNA putting it in a BAM file, but I don't know how well I will be able to interpret it, and, I don't know how beneficial my results - alone - will be, without comparing it to others. If so, that is why I would like to get my results to a 3rd party for analysis and comparison.

Comment

[QUOTE]If so, that is why I would like to get my results to a 3rd party for analysis and comparison./QUOTE]

Having just been involved in the process of getting an SNP recognized as a subgroup I can say a little about this. As a kind of a disclaimer, I was not the brains of this operation, just a participant. It definitely requires the entire community. Some gurus will be found here and for others a third party web site will be more helpful. If I was known to be R1b-312 ,for example ,I would join groups dedicated to that subclade. All of this can take some time to become significant, that is to be an officially recognized subclade. If it is a new SNP than it has to be compared to SNP's within the existing subclasses. For my new SNP it required that one person from the existing 80+ subclades test negatively for it. It also can require further testing of other SNP's to find out what is above it and below it. So I would not expect a " Eureka moment". So my take on this is join appropriate groups and follow the discussions.

Comment

[QUOTE=Brunetmj;377893]
                If so, that is why I would like to get my results to a 3rd party for analysis and comparison./QUOTE]

Having just been involved in the process of getting an SNP recognized as a subgroup I can say a little about this. As a kind of a disclaimer, I was not the brains of this operation, just a participant. It definitely requires the entire community. Some gurus will be found here and for others a third party web site will be more helpful. If I was known to be R1b-312 ,for example ,I would join groups dedicated to that subclade. All of this can take some time to become significant, that is to be an officially recognized subclade. If it is a new SNP than it has to be compared to SNP's within the existing subclasses. For my new SNP it required that one person from the existing 80+ subclades test negatively for it. It also can require further testing of other SNP's to find out what is above it and below it. So I would not expect a " Eureka moment". So my take on this is join appropriate groups and follow the discussions.
                If I may ask, how did your information get into the mix, so to speak? That is, was your information public and somebody took your results, along with others, to define this new SNP, or, were you part of some group whereby you had to share or give your data results to another for analysis? If you had to actively share your information, how did you find out about their efforts and what means did you use to share your data?

Comment

[QUOTE]That is, was your information public and somebody took your results, along with others, to define this new SNP, /QUOTE]

That is why I suggest joining groups. I took the Chromo 2 test which was released just prior to the Big Y release. Since my hopes were low for the chromo2 I also ordered the Big Y. In my case I belong to the L21 plus group here. It suggested we all upload or raw data to that site. An L21 group member began discussing his results on anthrogenica.com. I realized I had a positive results for the same SNP he was discussing.
                  So belonging to a couple of groups, and following the discussions , led to me discovering mine. I was fortunate to have a couple of really smart people leading the way . I suspect that is what will be needed to understand the results from the Big Y.

Comment

[QUOTE=Brunetmj;377903]
                    That is, was your information public and somebody took your results, along with others, to define this new SNP, /QUOTE]

That is why I suggest joining groups. I took the Chromo 2 test which was released just prior to the Big Y release. Since my hopes were low for the chromo2 I also ordered the Big Y. In my case I belong to the L21 plus group here. It suggested we all upload or raw data to that site. An L21 group member began discussing his results on anthrogenica.com. I realized I had a positive results for the same SNP he was discussing.
                    So belonging to a couple of groups, and following the discussions , led to me discovering mine. I was fortunate to have a couple of really smart people leading the way . I suspect that is what will be needed to understand the results from the Big Y.
                    Thanks. If you note in one of my earlier posts I mention anthrogenica.com as one of the sites I have suggested. My experience seems to be similar to yours. I have found several sites where people who have already taken advanced y-dna tests discuss and further knowledge. Thanks for your confirmation of my observations.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
                      Hello,

Yep I agree with you there, so can you help us with the question below?, I'm also interested in this.

Originally posted by Solothurn View Post
                      How soon after the BigY results will FTDNA offer new SNP testing to enable amalgamation to new subclades, if positive that is?

Thanks

S.
                      Last edited by EastAnglian; 22 February 2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

How soon after the BigY results will FTDNA offer new SNP testing to enable amalgamation to new subclades, if positive that is?
                        I let this go a few days to see if anyone else would answer.
                        If I am wrong on this , feel free to correct me.
                        I do not think Family Tree can immediately tell what SNP represents a new subclade. It can only report SNP's.
                        To enable amalgamation I am sure gurus will spot these new SNP's and instigate reports back to Family Tree requesting various information and asking for more testing of individual snp's. So I belive it will be a feedback loop which will require time. It takes a lot to add a new subclade to the offical tree. I am sure this feedback will appear in various posts here as well as in other places.

Comment

The big problem is that FTDNA are still using the 2010 y-tree.
                          This is pretty useless in 2014.

Where is the promised 2014 y-tree?

Comment

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
                            The big problem is that FTDNA are still using the 2010 y-tree.
                            This is pretty useless in 2014.

Where is the promised 2014 y-tree?
                            Supposed to be here in a few weeks.

http://dna-explained.com/2014/02/27/big-y-release/

If you scroll down a bit, you find
                            Bennett Greenspan said today that an updated tree is, “Needed, desired and will be delivered.” He went on to say that they have had two teams working together with Nat Geo for the past couple of months to both finalize the tree itself and to work on the customer interface. Since the tree is much larger, it’s not as easy as the older trees which could be seen at a glance and easily navigated. Furthermore, there is also the matter of integration with National Geographic.

Bennett says an updated tree will be delivered “within the next several weeks.”

Comment

Rebekah Canada,

It is 2:45(EST) are there further Big Y Tests being released today?

If not, how is FTDNA planning to schedule the release the remained?

Please advise.

Comment

The information in my kit's test status says the tests are being tested in order received. I know I ordered 11/21, so it would be interesting to know the submission dates of those who have received results.

Comment

Working...
                                X