Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
    "Fingers crossed", really....
    How about FTDNA actually updating their expected dates.
    This has been an ongoing issue with customers for years, and it is so easy to fix.
    They are actually just making work for themselves by not doing it, doesn't make sense to me, even if they don't want to update our accounts they should send around an email to Big Y customers to let them know, how hard is it to get a list of all customers who have ordered and email them? , one email would do it.

Comment

Hi,

Please check your pending BIG Y accounts. :-)

Originally posted by EastAnglian View Post
      They are actually just making work for themselves by not doing it, doesn't make sense to me, even if they don't want to update our accounts they should send around an email to Big Y customers to let them know, how hard is it to get a list of all customers who have ordered and email them? , one email would do it.

Comment

My Big Y has been amended: 28th February looks like the date - I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by sinclar View Post
          My Big Y has been amended: 28th February looks like the date - I hope!
          Yey, power to the people!

Edit:

I spoke to soon, mine says 18/02/2014 still, no worries I know when it is, but obviously didn't update everyone.
          Last edited by EastAnglian; 18 February 2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

big Y ;-)

T-10 and counting.

Will it be BIG, or will it be Y did I do this.

Time will tell.

(I'm like a kid who can barely wait for Santa Claus)

Comment

>>> (I'm like a kid who can barely wait for Santa Claus)

And that was the spirit behind "Is it mid February yet?"

I felt like the kid in the back seat of the car asking his parents "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" You know ... like "Can't wait to get there!" LOL

Comment

OK. All being well BigY results may be available at the end of next week

I have been asking some fellow testers for some weeks about what preparation if any we could be doing either with registering for any third party interpretation sites, downloading 3rd party comparison spreadsheets or any background reading that might help us (me) understanding what my results mean. For example I took time the other day to read up on .bam files after they were mentioned in this thread recently.

Despite paying a lot for the test I am not sure what it is we will be getting exactly!

I am expecting a lot of negative and positive results for existing known mainly way upstream SNP's. I don't know if there will be any help for these or if it's going to be upto us to manually look up potentially thousands of SNP's to find out where they fit into the tree.

I am also expecting somewhere between a couple or perhaps 20 or more of new discoveries in my sample. It's why I took the test in this hope. I don't know if the FTDNA interface or project pages will enable us to automatically search for or manually display anyone else who shares any of the new discoveries or if I will have no way of getting in touch with people who share the same new discoveries.

I don't know if any of my project admins want me to send my results to them, or to plan on using any free 3rd party interpretation service or if that won't be necessary as FTDNA may be proving sufficient interpretation in their results pages including the data being available to admins anyway for those of us who are in projects.

Essentially I am trying to get some clue as to what to do with my results when I get them so I don't feel quite as bewildered by a mountain of numbers next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Davis View Post
                  OK. All being well BigY results may be available at the end of next week

I have been asking some fellow testers for some weeks about what preparation if any we could be doing either with registering for any third party interpretation sites, downloading 3rd party comparison spreadsheets or any background reading that might help us (me) understanding what my results mean.
                  I know of two companies that will analyze your data: YFull and Full Genomes Corp. You can Google search for them.

Comment

Text now says, We will release results from the BIG Y Pre-Sale with the BETA myFTDNA results pages on February 28, 2014. That's about as specific as you can get.

I'm waiting for the emails at 9AM asking WHEN??????

Comment

Rebekah Canada,

Thank you for listening to and implementing some of the Big Y Tester's suggestions!!! Your effort is greatly appreciated and I feel it demonstrates FTDNA's commitment to provide a high level of customer service to clients.

Fully understanding that it is impossible to please 100% of of a group at all times, I feel that FTDNA and yourself have done a commendable job in handling people's expectations.

As the Big Y is a ground breaking genealogical genetic test, I understand that you need to take your time in order to ensure that the product is delivered in a professional format that can be comprehended at least by Project Administrators, in order to make the data useful for genealogical purposes.

I plan to continue to use FTDNA as my sole provider of products for genetic genealogy. I feel that FTDNA's committed to their customers pre and post sale of products is well above and beyond that of any other company in the field.

So Rebekah Canada, I apologize for any extra pressure my personnel inquiries created for FTDNA Staff.

Thanks again,

Peter MacDonald

Comment

How soon after the BigY results will FTDNA offer new SNP testing to enable amalgamation to new subclades, if positive that is?

Thanks

S.

Comment

I have read the Big Y FAQ and got an fair idea of how the results will be presented for the tester. What about matches and projects? As of now we see Y-DNA Haplogroup in projects, Y-DNA Haplogroup and Terminal SNP on matches.

Will matches or other projects members SNP results from BigY be available to others or is the possible huge amount of results "private" to the tester only?

If the answer to my question already is available I am sorry for not have found it. Anyway, I hope that we can see others results easy, because that is the useful thing, only knowing your own SNP's is not taking the research very long further in the advancing science, it is when easily being able to compare with others results it becomes useful. I think, for example, that project administrators will be happy if they can avoid contacting their members asking them to manually send their results to them.

I really want to know, in advance before ordering anything that expensive, if I can easily use my results and compare it to others who have tested BigY.

Comment

Personally, I'm prepared for any teething problems. I'm sure the Beta Big Y will be a learning curve for all involved. However, I'm a U152** with no matches with confirmed haplogroups - unless you consider 55/67 close... - so I've got everything to gain... It's also great to think that my sample is contributing to the geno tree, and might find a new or important snip, or confirm a major subclade within U152.
                            Well done to the forum admin for coping so well with all our excitement...

Comment

Search for matches using Y SNPs

With Big Y, the number of SNPs and granularity of those SNPs in mapping Y DNA trees will grow extensively. Currently, FTDNA has a matching/query system based on Y STR genetic distances. We need the same kind of matching/query system for Y SNPs. Some of these SNPs may be very youthful and extremely valuable in genetic genealogy.

Comment

Originally posted by Solothurn View Post
                                How soon after the BigY results will FTDNA offer new SNP testing to enable amalgamation to new subclades, if positive that is?

Thanks

S.
                                Definitely a question of mine also..

Comment

Working...
                                X