New BigY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New BigY Thread

Does anyone know what whether the BigY test is 50x, 30x, 10x coverage?

How are no-calls handled?

Thanks!

The Big Y is now on ISOGG's comparative SNP testing chart:

Y-DNA SNP Testing Chart

It fares rather well.

Comment

@Stevo, check with Geno 2.0 if they can still cancel your order, I say that because they gave me that option. to have my order cancelled if it was not shipped already.

Comment

Too late. The Geno 2.0 is for my dear ol' dad. His sample has already been received, and the test is 20% complete. Besides, I want to know his mtDNA haplogroup, and Big Y won't tell me that.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Well what is the difference between the geno 2.0 test for men & Family Tree DNA's Big Y test? I'm confused...

Comment

Originally posted by ragnar View Post
            Well what is the difference between the geno 2.0 test for men & Family Tree DNA's Big Y test? I'm confused...
            You have it all here: Y-DNA SNP testing chart

Geno 2.0 covers 12,065 SNPs while Big Y covers 25,000 SNPs 10 million base pairs.

Comment

I think I am going to buy this one along with mtDNAPlus .

Would it be possible to convert those base pairs to STRs?

Comment

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
                Does anyone know what whether the BigY test is 50x, 30x, 10x coverage?

How are no-calls handled?

Thanks!
                No mention was made about the coverage, so it is anyone's guess.

The Big Y is a Next Generation sequence, rather than a chip-based test, so there should be far fewer no-calls.

Comment

This link will take you to a page that offers a video of Illumina's next generation technology that will be employed in Big Y.

http://www.illumina.com/systems/geno...echnology.ilmn

Comment

Originally posted by Couscous Nomad View Post
                    I think I am going to buy this one along with mtDNAPlus .

Would it be possible to convert those base pairs to STRs?
                    Big Y samples Y SNP's. If you want Y STR's and Y SNP's and the full mitochondrial genome, consider Full Genomes. Their test is compared on the ISOGG page referenced in this thread.

Comment

I think that FTDNA is asking a lot to buy this sight unseen.

It's like the "Let's make a deal" game show.
                      Do you want to keep your $495 in cash?
                      Or, take a chance on what's behind door No.3?

If FTDNA advertises that there are 25,000 y-SNPs, they know what they are.
                      There really is no legitimate excuse for not telling us the full SNP list and specs
                      before we buy it.

Are all 12,000 of Geno 2.0's y-SNP's included in the 25K number?

If true, previous Geno 2.0 testers would only benefit from the testing of 13,000 additional SNPs. (plus the possibility of new SNP discovery)

The record company sold me Sgt. Pepper's as an LP.
                      Then they resold it as an 8 track, cassette, CD and mp3 download.
                      Nothing like buying the same thing over and over again.
                      Last edited by ajmr1a1; 11 November 2013, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
                        Nothing like buying the same thing over and over again.
                        Yes, if you already have a mobile Nokia 1100 no one is forcing you to buy Samsung Galaxy S4.

I ordered Big Y it hoping that my DNA will help researchers grow the F haplogroup branch which is largely not known or researched properly.

Comment

Thanks, Felix

Comment

Felix: Thanks. I originally tested with Nat Geographic just to contribute some dollars to the fascinating science of dna, not expecting anything in return. All of my testing and dollars have been value added to my life.

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post
                              Yes, if you already have a mobile Nokia 1100 no one is forcing you to buy Samsung Galaxy S4.
                              True, but my point is that as a consumer you have a right to know all the specifications of a product before you buy it.

Would you buy the next generation Samsung Galaxy without knowing
                              anything about the display size, processor, storage, camera, camcorder or the battery life?

Comment

Working...
                              X